How do d1 and d2 relate to L, x, h1, and h2?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mystery
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Miike012
Messages
1,009
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


My friend just sent me an answer to a problem he solved... But I am not understanding how d1 = L*x/h2
and
d2=L*x/h1

How is that so?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:

Homework Statement


My friend just sent me an answer to a problem he solved... But I am not understanding how d1 = L*x/h2
and
d2=L*x/h1

How is that so?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


What was the problem?
 
Oops I thought I added the picture with it... Here you go..
 
Attachments
  • MAAAATH.jpg
    MAAAATH.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 502
Your friend laid out his/her explanation very clearly and neatly. For the first equation (solved for d1) the two triangles listed are similar, so the ratios of corresponding sides are equal. Triangles ACF and ADE are similar, so x/h2 = d1/L. Solve for d1 by multiplying both sides by L.

It's almost exactly the same for the other equation.
 
Yes he has always been very detailed and clear in his explanations.. He is pretty good.