1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Dipole as x l, how do I simplify this correctly?

1. Feb 26, 2013 #1
    Electric Dipole as x >> l, how do I simplify this correctly???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ELECTRIC DIPOLE : 15.0 POINTS

A charge −Q is located at x=−l/2 and a charge +Q is located at x=l/2. Thus the separation between the two charges is l.

The total electric field on the x axis can be written as
    E⃗ (x)=E(x)dˆ.

(a) What is the direction dˆ of the total electric field at any point on the x axis where x>l/2?

x^ (correct)

(b)What is E(x) as a function of x for x>l/2? Express your answer in terms of, if necessary, Q, l, x and the constant ϵ0 (if needed, enter pi for π, epsilon_0 for ϵ0).

(Q⋅l)/(2⋅π⋅ε⋅x^3⋅(1−(l/(2⋅x))^2)^2) (correct)

(c) Consider now the limit where x≫l, so that

(1±l2x)^−2≃1∓l/x

Express, in this limit, E(x) in terms of, if necessary, p, x and ϵ0. The quantity p=Ql is called the dipole moment.

p/(2⋅π⋅ε⋅x^3) (correct) how?????

2. Relevant equations

I already solved A and B with the equations. I really just need to know how to do C. Simplifying from (Q⋅l)/(2⋅π⋅ε⋅x^3⋅(1−(l/(2⋅x))^2)^2) to p/(2⋅π⋅ε⋅x^3) as x >> l.

3. The attempt at a solution

I substitute Q*l for P but I get stuck at the (1−(l/(2⋅x))^2)^2) part if I just have x = l then to me it should simplify to 9/16 but that's not it... then I try to use the (1±l2x)^−2≃1∓l/x approximation and i end up getting p (1 - l^2/x^2) / (2⋅π⋅ε⋅x^3) which when x >> l equals 0 i have no idea about how to make (1−(l/(2⋅x))^2)^2) go to 1 when x >> l, please help

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2013 #2
    Re: Electric Dipole as x >> l, how do I simplify this correctly???

A little typo correction,
    (c) Consider now the limit where x≫l, so that

(1±(l/2x))^−2≃1∓l/x

Edit: I figured it out please ignore this post...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted