How Do Forces Influence the Shape of Water and Mercury Drops on Glass?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
pranjal verma
Messages
13
Reaction score
1
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
00001745.jpg

I am trying to understand how fluids form particular shapes when put on a solid.
  1. In the two figures,what are we taking as a system for the forces?
  2. How the resultant of the forces influences the shape of the different fluids?
 
Attachments
  • 00001745.jpg
    00001745.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,278
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Do not erase the template ! You have already found something, so start from there!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pranjal verma
pranjal verma said:
I am trying to understand how fluids form particular shapes when put on a solid.
There are two parts to this:
- the forces that result in the contact angle
- the forces that control the shape of the surface elsewhere
Are you interested in analysing both of those or just one?
For the latter, consider a horizontal slice at some height. Can you relate the surface tension, the curvature and the internal pressure? (Are you familiar with the analysis of pressure in bubbles?)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pranjal verma
haruspex said:
There are two parts to this:
- the forces that result in the contact angle
- the forces that control the shape of the surface elsewhere
Are you interested in analysing both of those or just one?
For the latter, consider a horizontal slice at some height. Can you relate the surface tension, the curvature and the internal pressure? (Are you familiar with the analysis of pressure in bubbles?)
I am Interested in determining the system on which the forces are acting and how the forces influence the contact angle of the drop.(I.e why liquid forms a specific contact angle due to resultants of all forces acting on it?)
 
pranjal verma said:
I am Interested in determining the system on which the forces are acting and how the forces influence the contact angle of the drop.(I.e why liquid forms a specific contact angle due to resultants of all forces acting on it?)
I might have been of help with the shape elsewhere but I know little about contact angles.
Have you read this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_angle?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pranjal verma
pranjal verma said:
You can write what ever you know about shape of drops,I will like to learn it as well.
Consider a horizontal disc of the drop, height y, thickness dy, radius x.
What equations can you write relating the these to y', y", density, surface tension etc?