1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses How do grad schools perceive a course audit on an undergrad transcript?

1. Jul 16, 2010 #1
    I'm thinking of auditing a course this Fall, since I find it very interesting and would love to take it, but I don't have time to do the homework and papers and such. It's called "Science and Religion" and is just a two hour lecture every Wednesday evening. What would a graduate school think of an audit like this? My school lists an audited course on your transcript if you attend >50% of the classes. There are some other philosophy courses I might also consider auditing at other points in my education.

EDIT: I'm hoping to apply to graduate school in either physics or engineering.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2010 #2
    As a former member of an admissions committee, I would say it would have no effect. There are just so many other factors that get weighed in: GPA, GPA in major, GRE scores, work/research experience (as should be documented in letters of recommendation)... it's rather like taking a course in underwater basket weaving.

Note: it you do have the time, take more (graded) upper-level and even grad-level courses in your field. That can be weighted positively by a reader's score.
  4. Jul 16, 2010 #3
    I did a Major in Honours Physics and a Minor in World Religions, one of my undergrad courses was in fact "Science and Religion". I had no problem getting into Grad Schools.
  5. Jul 16, 2010 #4
    Thanks. I'm not afraid I would have trouble getting in because I took a certain course - I just wanted to make sure there's no negative stereotype of auditing courses instead of earning credits for them.
  6. Jul 16, 2010 #5
    If its any help I also audited a graduate level Magnetism course because I didn't want the stress of all the work while taking a full course load.
  7. Jul 16, 2010 #6
    You know, you could simply ask the professor if you can sit in on the class. You get the same intellectual benefit out of it, without the papers and such.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook