How do hemerrhoid ointments work

• Medical
  • Thread starter mycotheology
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, a person had hemorrhoids for 5 years and recently experienced severe symptoms. They went to the doctor and were prescribed an ointment containing prednisone and cinchocaine, which effectively healed the problem. These compounds work by reducing swelling and pain, allowing the body to naturally heal itself. Surgery is usually only needed for severe cases, as there are many alternative treatments available.
mycotheology
I've had hemorrhoids for around 5 years which and a couple of weeks ago they got bad enough that there was blood on the toilet paper every time I wiped so I went to the doctor thinking I would have to organise a hospital visit to get the hemorrhoid surgically removed but he just prescribed me an ointment. The active compounds in the ointment are prednisone, a steroid antiinflammatory and cinchocaine, a local anasthetic. I didn't think it was going to work, I thought those compounds would just remedy the symptoms temporarily but it seems to have more of less healed the problem. No more blood on the toilet paper, when I insert my finger in there to apply the ointment, I can't even feel the hemorrhoids any more.

How does it work? Is the idea to reduce the swelling with the prednisone so that the body can heal the problem? Whats the cinchocaine for? Is it just to temporariily remedy the pain?

Biology news on Phys.org
You are basically correct - the cremes treat the symptoms and the body takes care of the rest. Persistence can be due to a feedback effect - where the pain causes swelling which causes more pain which... etc. So, reducing the swelling and pain will break the cycle.

Since the body can usually deal with hemorrhoids by itself, but the condition is annoying and treatment slow, there are a lot of naturopathic and herbal "remedies" on the market which do pretty much the same or (more usually) less.

An accessible overview is:
http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Hemorrhoids_and_what_to_do_about_them.htm

They have to get pretty bad for surgery to be needed.

1. How do hemorrhoid ointments work?

Hemorrhoid ointments work by reducing inflammation and swelling in the affected area. Most ointments contain ingredients such as hydrocortisone or witch hazel which have anti-inflammatory properties. They also help to soothe the discomfort and pain associated with hemorrhoids.

2. Can hemorrhoid ointments cure hemorrhoids?

No, hemorrhoid ointments cannot cure hemorrhoids. They can provide temporary relief from symptoms such as itching, burning, and discomfort. However, to fully treat hemorrhoids, it is important to address the underlying cause and make lifestyle changes.

3. How long does it take for hemorrhoid ointments to work?

The time it takes for hemorrhoid ointments to work varies from person to person. Generally, it takes a few days to a week to see improvement in symptoms. It is important to follow the instructions on the ointment and continue using it until the symptoms subside.

4. Are there any side effects of using hemorrhoid ointments?

Some people may experience mild side effects such as irritation or burning in the applied area. It is important to read the ingredients list and consult with a doctor if you have any known allergies. If the side effects persist or worsen, stop using the ointment and consult with a doctor.

5. Can I use hemorrhoid ointments for internal hemorrhoids?

No, hemorrhoid ointments are designed to be used externally for external hemorrhoids. For internal hemorrhoids, there are suppositories and creams available that are specifically designed to be used internally. It is important to consult with a doctor before using any medication for internal hemorrhoids.