1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I add S/R configuration to this?

1. Feb 11, 2017 #1
    Edit by Mentor: thread moved from the other forum, hence no template used.

IMG_20170211_115259.jpg

The problem tells me to determine the S/R configurations of each chiral center in the compound, which I have drawn in the picture above. As you can see the numbers assigned by atomic # are not in order. How would I go about determining configuration in this case?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2017 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Follow the procedure described here: http://web.chem.ucla.edu/~harding/tutorials/stereochem/r_s.html (you've already completed step #1, not just move onto steps #2 and 3).

Basically, you rotate the molecule so that the group with the lowest priority (#4) is pointing away from you. Then you look at the arrangement of the groups with priority #1-3. If these are arranged in a clockwise manner (i.e. you move clockwise going form #1 to #2 to #3) then the stereocenter is R. If they arranged in a counterclockwise manner, then the stereocenter is S.

If you have trouble visualizing and rotating the stereocenter in your head, try building a physical model that you can rotate for yourself.

4. Feb 16, 2017 #3
    following on from what was said previously, you've basically already done it with your drawing, as the H (lowest priority group) is pointing away from you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted