Maximum angle between resultant and original vector

Homework Statement

Two vectors of magnitude 5 units and 3 units are added such that the angle between the resultant and the vector of magnitude 5units is maximum. Find this angle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Knowing that the resultant vector makes a smaller angle with a vector of larger magnitude, I tried to draw some diagrams but they proved to be of little help.

Further, the max. angle can't be 180 degrees or 0 degree for obvious reasons.

I know PF does not provide complete solutions but I would be thankful for any assistance provided.

Answers and Replies

First Try and find the angle between the vector and the resultant in terms of the angle between the two vectors.

Last edited:
Sahil ,

In case you have worked out the problem , do you mind checking the answer ?

37°

Sahil ,

In case you have worked out the problem , do you mind checking the answer ?

37°
According to me the answer is
90° + 37° = 127°

Thanks .

I think what you have stated is the angle between the two vectors such that the angle between the resultant and vector of magnitude 5 units is maximum . I might be wrong .

Would you like to reconsider your answer ?

Thanks .

I think what you have stated is the angle between the two vectors such that the angle between the resultant and vector of magnitude 5 units is maximum . I might be wrong .

Would you like to reconsider your answer ?
I think my answer is correct

cosx= -3/5 => x=90+37

This is the angle between the two vectors , not between the resultant and vector of magnitude 5 units .

This is the angle between the two vectors , not between the resultant and vector of magnitude 5 units .
Sorry, i didnt read the question carefully. You are correct.

tan y = (3*4/5)/(5-3*3/5) = 3/4 => y= 37

Alright :smile:

Likes Sahil Kukreja
haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Knowing that the resultant vector makes a smaller angle with a vector of larger magnitude, I tried to draw some diagrams but they proved to be of little help.
Draw a line OP for the vector of 5 units. From the tip of that vector, P, you can draw another line of 3 units. What is the locus of points Q where that might end? Which of these maximises the angle POQ?