1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum angle between resultant and original vector

1. May 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two vectors of magnitude 5 units and 3 units are added such that the angle between the resultant and the vector of magnitude 5units is maximum. Find this angle.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Knowing that the resultant vector makes a smaller angle with a vector of larger magnitude, I tried to draw some diagrams but they proved to be of little help.

Further, the max. angle can't be 180 degrees or 0 degree for obvious reasons.

I know PF does not provide complete solutions but I would be thankful for any assistance provided.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2016 #2
    First Try and find the angle between the vector and the resultant in terms of the angle between the two vectors.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  4. May 30, 2016 #3
    Sahil ,

In case you have worked out the problem , do you mind checking the answer ?

37°

5. May 30, 2016 #4
    According to me the answer is
    90° + 37° = 127°

6. May 30, 2016 #5
    Thanks .

I think what you have stated is the angle between the two vectors such that the angle between the resultant and vector of magnitude 5 units is maximum . I might be wrong .

Would you like to reconsider your answer ?

7. May 30, 2016 #6
    I think my answer is correct

cosx= -3/5 => x=90+37

8. May 30, 2016 #7
    This is the angle between the two vectors , not between the resultant and vector of magnitude 5 units .

9. May 30, 2016 #8
    Sorry, i didnt read the question carefully. You are correct.

tan y = (3*4/5)/(5-3*3/5) = 3/4 => y= 37

10. May 30, 2016 #9
    Alright :smile:

11. May 30, 2016 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Draw a line OP for the vector of 5 units. From the tip of that vector, P, you can draw another line of 3 units. What is the locus of points Q where that might end? Which of these maximises the angle POQ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted