Bond angle in methane? Have been doing for 1 hr

In summary, the conversation discusses the bond angle in methane, with one person attempting to use the method of components to find the angle between two bonds and the other suggesting to use a cube to visualize the angle. Ultimately, it is determined that the bond angle can be found using the formula cosθ = (AxBx + AyBy + AzBz)/AB, where A and B are the magnitudes of the vectors.
elpermic
Bond angle in methane? Have been doing for 1 hr!

Homework Statement

In the methane molecule, CH4, each hydrogen atom is at a corner of a regular tetrahedron with the carbon atom at the center. In coordinates where one of the C-H bonds is in the direction of i + j + k, an adjacent C-H bond is in the i - j - k direction. Calculate the angle between these two bonds?

Homework Equations

I know this is a pyramid.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

If A and B are vectors, then the angle between them is given by
cosθ= A.B/A*B

Would that mean that cos theta is equal to the (Ax+Bx) + (Ay+By) divided by the magnitudes of A and B? I think that each side of the pyramid is 1. Is this right?

elpermic said:
Would that mean that cos theta is equal to the (Ax+Bx) + (Ay+By) divided by the magnitudes of A and B? I think that each side of the pyramid is 1. Is this right?
No.
cosθ = (AxBx + AyBy + AzBz)/AB, where A and B are the magnitudes of the vectors.

So how would I use the method of components to find Ax and Bx, and Ay and By?? I never learned how to do Az and Bz either. I only have one fact that I think, each side is 1.

You have expressed bonds is in the direction of i + j + k, an adjacent C-H bond is in the i - j - k direction.
Here coefficient of i, j and k are Ax, Ay and Az. i.e. 1, 1, 1.
Similarly find Bx, By and Bz. Magnitudes of A and B are sqrt(3)
Now find the angle using the formula.

It might help to know that a tetrahedron can be embedded in a cube. I think it's far more intuitive to obtain the H-C-H angle by examining the cube.

anim5in1.gif

umm. that wasn't supposed to be spinning, but it's the best I could find.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have been trying it out and I still cannot do this

Consider if the cube is one unit on a side. The blue line at the top of the cube connects two hydrogen atoms. The length of the line is sqrt(2).

The center of this line lies at the center of a cube face. The center of the cube face is 1/2 unit from the center of the cube. The carbon atom is at the center of the cube.

Draw a picture. Does the line from the center of the cube intersect the blue line at a right angle?

Related to Bond angle in methane? Have been doing for 1 hr

1. What is the bond angle in methane?

The bond angle in methane is 109.5 degrees.

2. How is the bond angle in methane determined?

The bond angle in methane is determined by the arrangement of the atoms in the molecule and the repulsion between the bonded electron pairs.

3. Why is the bond angle in methane important?

The bond angle in methane is important because it affects the molecule's shape, which in turn determines its physical and chemical properties.

4. How does the bond angle in methane affect its reactivity?

The bond angle in methane affects its reactivity by influencing the strength and stability of the bonds between the atoms, which can impact how easily the molecule can undergo chemical reactions.

5. Can the bond angle in methane be changed?

No, the bond angle in methane cannot be changed as it is a fundamental property of the molecule's structure and is dictated by the laws of chemistry.