How do I calculate the differential of f(x+dx)?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter graupner1000
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Differential
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
graupner1000
Messages
15
Reaction score
1
Hi all,

I'm a bit stuck on what should probably be fairly simple, but I'm looking for a general way to do

[itex]\partial_{x}f(x+\delta x)[/itex]

Any help would much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The notation is a little off beat. I've never seen partial differentials, only partial derivatives.
 
I'm not quite sure what is meant either. Is δ a number or a function. Is f a function of more than one variable (if not why the partial derivative notation)?
 
Sorry, just some old habits. What I mean is this: A function f(x) is perturbed by δx so f(x+δx). What is the differential of this:

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}f(x+\delta x)[/itex]

which is what I think it should actually look like.
 
graupner1000 said:
A function f(x) is perturbed by δx

If you mean [itex]\delta x[/itex] to be a finite constant then this is like asking "What is the differential of f(x+5)?" Is it that sort of question?

Or are you doing some sort of reasoning involving "infinitesimals"? If so, it would be better to give a complete context for the situation.
 
Ok, if I'm going to describe the full problem this should go in the cosmology section.

The goal is to rewrite the Klein-Gordon equation in terms of a perturbation to the scalar field. So, starting from

[itex]\frac{d^{2}\phi}{dt^{2}} + 3H\frac{d\phi}{dt} + \frac{dV}{d\phi}[/itex]=0

where [itex]\phi=\phi(x,t)[/itex] and [itex]V=V(\phi)[/itex]

and using

[itex]\phi(x,t)=\phi(t)+\delta\phi(x,t)[/itex]

I have gotten as far as

[itex]\frac{d^{2}\phi}{dt^{2}} + \frac{d^{2}\delta\phi}{dt^{2}} +3H\frac{d\phi}{dt} + 3H\frac{d\delta\phi}{dt} + \frac{dV(\phi + \delta\phi)}{d\phi} = 0[/itex]

Now what I am trying to get is

[itex]\frac{d^{2}\delta\phi}{dt^{2}} + 3H\frac{d\delta\phi}{dt} +\frac{d^{2}V}{d\phi^{2}}\delta\phi =0[/itex]

So you see what I meant with my original post. I figured If I could evaluate the last term I'd get the correct answer but I can't remember how to do it.
 
you should now subtract the original unperturbed equation and apply the differentiation rule: df/dx = f(x+dx) - f(x) which immediately leads to the result.
 
It worked thanks allot. I knew it would be something easy.