How do I calculate the energy density of a main-spring?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the energy density of a main-spring or motor-spring. The person is asking for help with finding values and the correct formula, as well as how to measure the properties of different materials. They have studied mechanical engineering but are unsure about the breaking point of the material.
lightspd

Homework Statement

How do I calculate the energy density of either a main-spring (like in a clock) or a motor-spring?
Can someone show me values put into the correct formula for something like e.g. steel?

I did find some material properties like this: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/yo...lus-d_417.html

The motor-spring I am interested in is a type like this: http://www.sdp-si.com/Gateway/D220-T183.htm

Secondly, I would like to experiment with various materials (composites especially). If I make a plank of this material, how can I measure its properties to be able to put it into the correct formula for energy density of such a spring (if made into a spring)? I would have to take into account the breaking-point of the material of course (i.e. I bend the plank and at some point it either snaps or buckles).

I did study mech. engineering for a coupple of years but it is 20 years ago and I am rusty ;-)
I have googled and read a lot but am still stuck. Most stuff only relates to compression-springs but I need to work out spring constant of basically a beam (?) and not sure of to work out the breaking point (of the clockspring) when I know that a certain material will snap when it is deflected a certain amount.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks and Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump!

nobody knows the answer to this?

1. How do I determine the energy density of a main-spring?

The energy density of a main-spring can be calculated by dividing the total energy stored in the spring by its volume. This can be represented by the formula: Energy Density = Total Energy / Volume.

2. What units are used to measure energy density?

Energy density is typically measured in joules per cubic meter (J/m3) or in joules per cubic centimeter (J/cm3). Other common units include watt-hours per kilogram (Wh/kg) and watt-hours per liter (Wh/L).

3. How do I measure the total energy stored in a main-spring?

The total energy stored in a main-spring can be calculated by using the formula: Total Energy = (1/2) x Spring Constant x (Spring Compression)^2. The spring constant can be determined experimentally or through mathematical calculations, and the spring compression can be measured using a ruler or calipers.

4. Can the energy density of a main-spring change over time?

Yes, the energy density of a main-spring can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, temperature changes, and material degradation. It is important to regularly monitor and maintain the main-spring to ensure its optimal performance.

5. How does the energy density of a main-spring affect its performance?

The energy density of a main-spring directly affects its performance, as it determines the amount of energy that can be stored and released by the spring. A higher energy density means a stronger and more powerful spring, while a lower energy density may result in a weaker and less effective spring.