How do I calculate the minimum force needed to prevent sliding due to friction?

  • Thread starter Thread starter silvashadow
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Friction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
silvashadow
Messages
71
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The drawing shows a large cube (m=25kg) being accelerated across a horizontal frictionless surface by a horizontal force P. A small cube (m=4kg) is in contact with the fron surface of the large cube and will slide downward unless P is sufficiently large. The coefficient of static friction between the cubes is 0.71. What is the smallest magnitude that P can have in order to keep the small cube from sliding downwardsI know that the weight of the small cube is 39.2N. I also know that Fn is in the same direction as P. Past that, I'm confused. I have a equation: F=u*Fn, which is friction is equal to coef. of friction times normal force.

Can someone explain to me what to do next?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
11 views, 12 hours and no help... guess you guys can help me or even tell me what else I need to put down...
 
Hints

On the small block, mass m, the downward force will be due to gravity mg.
The upward force will be due to friction and a normal force from the acceleration uma.
In order for the block not to fall uma=mg where u = 0.71
Once you have solved for a, ask yourself how much force it takes to give that much a to the whole system.
Tom
 
Ok. I have W of 4kg = 39.2N. In order for the block to not fall, friction has to be 39.2N.

mg=uma
4*9.8=.71*ma
39.2=.71*ma
ma=Fn=55.2N.

Where do I go from there? Can you at least tell me what m is supposed to be: 4kg or 25kg object?
 
silvashadow said:
11 views, 12 hours and no help... guess you guys can help me or even tell me what else I need to put down...
we're not here to please you, be patient
 
You guys have been great. I've gotten help from my teacher and some fellow classmates. Guess this place just isn't good for those who seek help.
 
Personally, I already know how to do the problem. I ask questions to try to guide you. Do you now understand the problem?
 
friction of 4kg = weight of 4kg
friction = uFn
Ff=mg=uma
mg=uma
g=ua
9.8=.71a
a=13.8

P=ma=(mass of big + mass of small)*13.8=400.2N