How do I calculate the torque of an eddy current brake?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
EricVT
Messages
165
Reaction score
6

Homework Statement



An electromagnetic "eddy current" brake consists of a disc of conductivity [tex]\sigma[/tex] and thickness d rotating about an axis passing through its center and normal to the surface of the disc. A uniform B is applied perpendicular to the plane of the disc over a small area a^2 located a distance P from the axis. Show that the torque tending to slow down the disc at the instant its angular speed is W is given approximately by [tex]\sigma[/tex]*W*d*[B*P*a]^2

The Attempt at a Solution



I assume that you need to calculate the force on the disc at the small section a^2 and then from this a torque can be easily found. Can you say:

[tex]F=q\cdot(E+v \times B)[/tex]

And since the electric field is motional make this

[tex]F=q\cdot(E+v \times B)=q\cdot(v \times B+v \times B)=q\cdot(2v \times B)[/tex]

[tex]v \times B = BPW[/tex]

[tex]F=2qBPW[/tex]

If so, how do you find the charge enclosed inside of the little region of volume d*a^2? I don't quite see how the conductivity plays into all of this, or where the second factor of B comes from in the solution.

Any help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm bumping this (I hope there's nothing wrong with me doing so). I'm having the exact same problem as well.
 
Anyone? This problem is due soon, and I'm having trouble getting beyond that point.