1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I calculate uncertainties for this experiment?

1. Nov 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I used error propagation equation to calculate errors in x and y for each individual data. Error in y is negligible. My goal is to find the uncertainty in the gradient. Capture.PNG
    2. Relevant equations

The plotted equation is [tex]eV=h\frac{c}{2dsin(\theta)}[/tex] ,where Plank's constant, h, is the gradient, the independent variables eV and the dependent variable is theta. Also x=c/(2dsin(theta) and y=eV.
    The dominant error is in the theta, and thus error in x is: [tex]\Delta x=\frac{c*cos(\theta) \Delta \theta}{2dsin^{2}(\theta)}[/tex]
    c=3*10^8m, cos(theta)=1, d is about 10^-10m, sin(theta) is about 0.1 and dtheta=0.2 degrees.
    This yields an extremely big error in x.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My original thought was to fit lines of max and min permitted gradient using errors in x and y. However, since the error in x is so large, and the x and y-axis are in log scale, I cannot manually fit lines.
    Update: Therefore I rearranged the above equation to isolate h, calculated the uncertainties in h for each data points and took its average.
    [tex]\Delta h=\frac{2eVdcos(\theta) \Delta \theta}{c}[/tex]The planks constant, h, was found to be 6.7*10-34Js, and the average uncertainty in h was found to be +-1.51^-33Js.
    Is this a reasonable approach?

Update 2: After corrected dtheta from degrees to radians.
    Caspture.PNG

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2016 #2
    Are you sure that your units are correct? ##1.0e-15## seems to be very small energies. I have never heard about any experiment operating at such small energies. Also, it seems like your expression for ##\Delta x## doesn't have the correct unit. I assume that ##\Delta x# should be a distance but your expression gives ##s^{-1}##.

4. Nov 20, 2016 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Just by looking at the data: either your uncertainties are all extremely correlated (and I don't see why they should be) or you overestimate your uncertainties massively.

I would expect the second case (especially as your wavelength is certainly not negative), but without a description of your experiment it is hard to figure out what went wrong.

5. Nov 20, 2016 #4
    Sorry I should've specified x is just a dummy variable, it is c/wavelength with unit 1/s. The energy in this experiment is x-ray photon energy.

6. Nov 20, 2016 #5
    The reason why error in x is so big is because inter-crystal plane distance, d, is very small and c is very large. The uncertainty in x was calculated using the error propagation equation. [tex]\Delta x=\frac{\delta x}{\delta \theta}\Delta \theta[/tex]
    Btw, I updated the OP please check it out.

7. Nov 20, 2016 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In the way you did the error propagation, you have to use ##\Delta \theta## in radian, not in degrees.

8. Nov 20, 2016 #7
    Thank you so much! I changed it to radians and the error is much smaller.

9. Nov 20, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Would you post the new graph, please? It is hard to judge what it will look like with the horizontal scale blown up by a factor of about 3000.

10. Nov 20, 2016 #9
    Sure thing!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted