How do I calculate Volts per cm (V/cm) with the following given?

  • Thread starter Thread starter HMS-776
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Per Volts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
HMS-776
Messages
63
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



How do I calculate Volts per cm (V/cm) with the following given?
Two coaxial tubes with 20kV placed across them.
Inner tube (actutally solid rod) has an OD of .5" and a length of 4"
Outer tube has an OD of 1.00" and a length of 4"

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I was going to calculate the Area of the inner and outer tubes and convert them to cm, then divide the total area by the applied voltage? Somehow I don't think that is right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HMS-776 said:

Homework Statement



How do I calculate Volts per cm (V/cm) with the following given?
Two coaxial tubes with 20kV placed across them.
Inner tube (actutally solid rod) has an OD of .5" and a length of 4"
Outer tube has an OD of 1.00" and a length of 4"

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I was going to calculate the Area of the inner and outer tubes and convert them to cm, then divide the total area by the applied voltage? Somehow I don't think that is right?

I'm not understanding the problem statement. Why would you have two coax cables with a net voltage between them. Usually the shields of each coax will be at ground potential, or somebody is about to lose their job...
 
They are just coaxial tubes (one inside the other) which form a capacitor. Sorry if I explained that wrong.