How do I compute the 3D Fourier transform of a point charge potential?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Marthius
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    3d Fourier
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Marthius
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
I need to take the 3-Dimensional Fourier transform of a point charge potential. I have an integral of this form, but I am unsure as to how to approach this integral.

[tex]\int e^{-i\vec{x}\vec{k}} \frac{q}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|}d^3x[/tex]

A push in the right direction would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Introduce the variable [tex]{\vec r}={\vec x}-{\vec x}'[/tex].
 
Meir Achuz said:
It was not in Cartesian coordinates.

What do you mean by d3x?
 
d^3x usually just means the volume differential, not necessarily in cartesian coords.
 
In order to carry out the integration, the volume differential should be expressed explicitly in some coordinate system. I recommend using spherical.