How do I convert a spring constant of N/cm to N/m

In summary, the conversation discusses converting a spring constant from N/cm to N/m using stoichiometry. However, stoichiometry is typically used for balancing chemical reactions and may not be applicable in this scenario. Instead, the link provided suggests using dimensional analysis to solve the conversion. The final solution is 85*10^2 N/m.
Waynerds

Homework Statement

my spring constant is 85 N/cm and I have to convert to N/m

Homework Equations

why does stoichiometry not work on this? How would I approach conversions like this?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried converting the 85 N/cm to N/m and ended up getting 85*10^2 N/m. This was using basic stoichiometry.

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually this skill is lumped in with what is called 'dimensional analysis.' Try looking over this link: https://www.chem.tamu.edu/class/fyp/mathrev/mr-da.html and see if you can make some sense of it. Your problem is very similar to the example except you have units of cm in the denominator.

Waynerds said:

Homework Statement

my spring constant is 85 N/cm and I have to convert to N/m

Homework Equations

why does stoichiometry not work on this? How would I approach conversions like this?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried converting the 85 N/cm to N/m and ended up getting 85*10^2 N/m. This was using basic stoichiometry.
Stoichiometry is what you use to balance chemical reactions.

If it takes a force of 85 N to stretch a spring 1 cm, how many Newtons will it take to stretch the same spring 100 cm (= 1 meter)?

1. What is the formula for converting N/cm to N/m?

The formula for converting N/cm to N/m is to simply multiply the value in N/cm by 100.

2. Why do we need to convert from N/cm to N/m?

We need to convert from N/cm to N/m because N/cm is a smaller unit of measurement and N/m is a larger unit, making it easier to work with and compare values.

3. Can I use a calculator to convert N/cm to N/m?

Yes, you can use a calculator to convert N/cm to N/m. Simply enter the value in N/cm and multiply it by 100 to get the value in N/m.

4. What are some common examples of using N/cm and N/m in science?

N/cm and N/m are commonly used in the fields of physics and engineering, particularly in measuring the strength of materials such as springs and wires.

5. Are there any other units of measurement that are commonly used for spring constants?

Yes, some other units used for spring constants include N/mm, N/m2, and kg/s2. The choice of unit depends on the specific application and preference of the scientist or engineer.