1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I derive the step on the formula of distance of source to field point.

1. Jun 23, 2011 #1
    Let [itex]\;\vec r\;'\; [/itex] be position vector pointing to the source. [itex]\;\vec r\;[/itex] be the position vector pointing to a field point. Therefore the distance from the source and field point is:

[tex] \vec {\eta} =\vec r -\vec r\;' \;\hbox { and }\; \eta = \sqrt{r^2+r'^2 - 2rr'cos\theta}= r \sqrt{1+\left (\frac{r'}{r}\right )^2 -2\frac{r'}{r} cos \theta}[/tex]

Where [itex]\;\theta\;[/itex] is the angle between the two vector.

For r'<<r, Why is the book than say

[tex] \vec {\eta} =\vec r -\vec r\;' \;\hbox { and }\; \eta = \sqrt{r^2+r'^2 - 2rr'cos\theta}= r \sqrt{1+\left (\frac{r'}{r}\right )^2 -2\frac{r'}{r} cos \theta} = r \left (1-\frac {r'}{r} cos \theta\right )[/tex]

I know for r'<<r, [itex]\left ( \frac {r'}{r}\right )^2\approx \;0 [/itex]. But how can you remove the square root.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2011 #2
    To first order, for |x|<1:
    [tex]\sqrt{1+x}=1+\frac{x}{2}+O[x^2] [/tex]so basically the squared term you have under the radical it too small to bother with.

You can derive this from expanding (1+x)1/2 with a Taylor expansion about x=0, or just use the binomial theorem.

4. Jun 23, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the response, can you show me how to derive this?

Alan

5. Jun 23, 2011 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The Taylor series for the square root reads

[tex]\sqrt{1+x}=1+x/2+O(x^2)[/tex]

Thus to order [itex]r'/r[/itex] you immediately obtain the approximation given by your book. That's one way to obtain the multipole expansion of the electrostatic field in terms of its sources. It's not a very clever way, but it works.:wink:

6. Jun 23, 2011 #5
    [tex]d/dx(\sqrt{1+x})=\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x}} [/tex]
    so evaluted at x=0 gives 1/2.

So the Taylor expansion is f(x)=1+x/2 since f(0)=sqrt(1+0)=1, and f(x)~f(0)+f'(0)x+...

7. Jun 23, 2011 #6
    That's the only way I can think of! I think I can get the second order terms but higher terms would be tedious because of that squared term in the radical, but a computer could probably get the higher order terms without trouble.

8. Jun 23, 2011 #7
    I thought Bi-Nomial is:

[tex]\frac 1 {\sqrt {1+\epsilon}}\approx (1-\frac 1 2 \epsilon + \frac 3 8 \epsilon^2 -\frac 5 {16} \epsilon^3.......)\;\hbox { for }\;\epsilon \;\hbox { <<1. } [/tex]

How can you show me how to does the other work?

9. Jun 23, 2011 #8
    Thanks for all your help. I have to go back and read up infinite/Taylor series to refresh my memory.

10. Jun 23, 2011 #9
    Here is the Wikipedia article on the binomial theorem for arbitrary exponents:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_theorem#Newton.27s_generalized_binomial_theorem

Just use formula (2) and substitute x=1, and you have an expansion for (1+y)^n. So formula (2) gives you the first four terms of a binomial expansion.

11. Jun 23, 2011 #10
    Thanks for all the help.

Alan

12. Jun 23, 2011 #11
    I am glad I run across this. I studied infinite/taylor series so long ago, I forgot they are like fourier, bessels etc. that you can approx a function with the power series.

Thanks

Alan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook