How do I differentiate this Scalar Field?

In summary, for a scalar field, the second covariant derivative is simply the normal derivative, while for a vector field, the second covariant derivative involves a Christoffel symbol.
unscientific

Homework Statement

(a) Find the christoffel symbols (Done).
(b) Show that ##\phi## is a solution and find the relation between A and B.[/B]

2013_B5_Q2.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part(b)
[tex]\nabla_\mu \nabla^\mu \phi = 0[/tex]
I suppose for a scalar field, this is simply the normal derivative:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial \eta^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial r^2} = 0 [/tex]

Starting with the ##\eta## component:
[tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \eta} = exp() \left[ B + (A+B\eta)(-ic|k|) \right] [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial \eta^2} = exp() \left[ -2ic|k|B - |k|^2c^2(A+B\eta) \right] [/tex]

Now for the ##r## component:
[tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial r} = exp() \left[ A+B\eta \right](\vec k \cdot \hat r)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial r^2} = exp() \left[ -(A+B\eta)(\vec k \cdot \hat r)^2 \right] [/tex]

Equating both real parts doesn't work; It gives ##(\vec k \cdot \hat r)^2 = |k|^2 c^2##..

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##\nabla_\mu## here? I would have thought they'd be covariant derivatives, not partial derivatives. (?)

Even though a covariant derivative of a scalar field is just the partial derivative, the 2nd covariant derivative is acting on a vector...

strangerep is correct, the second covariant derivative is not acting on a scalar, but on a covariant vector. I suggest rewriting it as
$$
\nabla^\mu \nabla_\mu \phi = g^{\mu\nu} \nabla_\mu \nabla_\nu \phi
$$
and apply the rules for covariant derivatives from there.

Orodruin said:
strangerep is correct, the second covariant derivative is not acting on a scalar, but on a covariant vector. I suggest rewriting it as
$$
\nabla^\mu \nabla_\mu \phi = g^{\mu\nu} \nabla_\mu \nabla_\nu \phi
$$
and apply the rules for covariant derivatives from there.

I know that for a vector field, ##\nabla_\alpha V^\mu = \partial_\alpha V^\mu + \Gamma^\mu_{\alpha \gamma} V^\gamma##. Does this apply to scalar fields as well? Or in the case of a scalar field, does it simply reduce to a normal derivative?

I have also found that
[tex]\nabla_\alpha \nabla_\beta V^\mu = \partial_\alpha \partial_\beta V^\mu + \left(\partial_\alpha \Gamma^\mu_{\beta \nu} \right)V^\nu + \Gamma^\mu_{\beta \nu} \left( \partial_\alpha V^\nu \right) + \Gamma^\mu_{\alpha \nu} \left[ \partial_\beta V^\nu + \Gamma^\nu_{\beta \epsilon} V^\epsilon \right] + \Gamma^\nu_{\alpha \beta} \left[ \partial_\nu V^mu + \Gamma^\mu_{\nu \epsilon} V^\epsilon \right][/tex]

unscientific said:
I know that for a vector field, ##\nabla_\alpha V^\mu = \partial_\alpha V^\mu + \Gamma^\mu_{\alpha \gamma} V^\gamma##. Does this apply to scalar fields as well? Or in the case of a scalar field, does it simply reduce to a normal derivative?

No, for scalar fields you have ##\nabla_\mu \phi = \partial_\mu \phi##. However, ##\nabla_\mu \phi## is a covector field and as such its covariant derivative ##\nabla_\nu\nabla_\mu \phi## will involve a Christoffel symbol.

Likes unscientific

1. How do I know if a Scalar Field is differentiable?

A Scalar Field is differentiable if all of its partial derivatives exist and are continuous at every point in the field.

2. What is the process for differentiating a Scalar Field?

To differentiate a Scalar Field, you must take the partial derivatives of the field with respect to each of its variables and then combine them using the rules of differentiation (such as the product rule or chain rule).

3. Can a Scalar Field have multiple points of differentiability?

Yes, a Scalar Field can have multiple points of differentiability as long as all of its partial derivatives exist and are continuous at those points.

4. What is the difference between differentiability and continuity in a Scalar Field?

A Scalar Field is differentiable if all of its partial derivatives exist and are continuous at every point in the field. Continuity, on the other hand, only requires that the field is continuous at a given point, regardless of whether or not it is differentiable.

5. How can I use differentiation of a Scalar Field in a real-world application?

Differentiation of a Scalar Field is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze real-world phenomena. For example, in physics, it can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object in motion, while in economics, it can be used to determine the rate of change of a particular variable in a market.