How do I expand V(r) = e^(-λr)/r in 3D Fourier series?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Logarythmic
Messages
277
Reaction score
0
I'm used to use

[tex]\tilde{f} (x) = a_n|e_n>[/tex]

where

[tex]|e_n> = e^{2 \pi inx / L}[/tex]

and

[tex]a_n = \frac{1}{L}<e_n|f>[/tex]

for my Fourier expansions.

How do I expand a function in 3 dimensions, for example

[tex]V(\vec{r}) = \frac{e^{-\lambda r}}{r}[/tex]

?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
---I deleted this, it's mostly nonsense and it does't apply to the problem.---

But in my opinion, mathematically, it makes no difference if you have an r or an x in there; just do the Fourier expansion btw r_0 and r_1 as you would a fct of x.
 
Last edited:
Logarythmic said:
I'm used to use

[tex]\tilde{f} (x) = a_n|e_n>[/tex]

where

[tex]|e_n> = e^{2 \pi inx / L}[/tex]

and

[tex]a_n = \frac{1}{L}<e_n|f>[/tex]

for my Fourier expansions.

How do I expand a function in 3 dimensions, for example

[tex]V(\vec{r}) = \frac{e^{-\lambda r}}{r}[/tex]

?
The basis functions are products whose factors are the 1-D functions in x, y, and z.
 
So [tex]|e_n> = e^{2 \pi in \vec{r} /L} = e^{2 \pi in x /L} e^{2 \pi in y /L} e^{2 \pi in z /L}[/tex] and [tex]r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]?
 
Yes for the last product on the right and the r; the Ls could be different for each dimension.

[tex]|e_n> = e^{2 \pi in x /L_x} e^{2 \pi in y /L_y} e^{2 \pi in z /L_z}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
So to expand [tex]V(\vec{r})[/tex] I have to rewrite it in terms of x, y ,z or does quasar987 have a point there?
 
Logarythmic said:
So to expand [tex]V(\vec{r})[/tex] I have to rewrite it in terms of x, y ,z or does quasar987 have a point there?
I thought you wanted the expansion for any function in 3-D. If the function is only a function of r, then you could do a 1-D expansion in r. There are other orthogonal functions that are often used in 3-D in cylindrical or spherical coordinates.
 
Yes, first of all I want to solve this problem but I also want to learn something from it. ;)