How Do I find Force when only Distance and Mass are given?

• Thread starter Kaitlynn Robicheaux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Mass
In summary, the speaker is describing their experience doing a physics lab where they measured different types of potential energy by attaching weights to a spring. They successfully completed the experiment using a virtual lab and did three trials with weights of 50, 100, and 250 grams. They also measured the initial distance, length of the spring at equilibrium, and highest and lowest points reached by the weights. The speaker mentions that the timer in the virtual lab is not accurate because they have to click and drag the weights, making it difficult to start the timer at the same time. They need to calculate the spring constant to complete the experiment, but they have figured it out on their own.
Kaitlynn Robicheaux
Homework Statement
Calculate the spring constant using the equation k equals force divided by stretched spring. Take the average of all trials, and use this value as the spring constant.
Relevant Equations
force divided by the length of the spring in equilibrium
I'm doing a lab for physics where I attach different weights to a spring and to measure different types of potential energy. I have already successfully completed the experiment using the virtual lab in the link below. I did three different trials using weights of 50, 100, and 250 grams. I measured the initial distance from point zero with the ruler provided, the length of the spring when it's at equilibrium, and the highest and lowest points the various weights got to. There is a timer but there isn't really a good way to make it accurate as in order to start the experiments you have to click and drag the weights, and you would have to click the play button on the timer at the same time that you let the weight go. As this is not possible I really don't trust the timer. But in order to complete the experiment, I need to know the spring constant which is calculated by dividing the force by the length of the spring in equilibrium. Any help would be appreciated.

https://phet.colorado.edu/sims/html/masses-and-springs/latest/masses-and-springs_en.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind I figured it out

1. What is the formula for calculating force when only distance and mass are given?

The formula for calculating force is F = m * a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. However, if acceleration is not given, you can use the formula F = m * g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Can I find force without knowing the acceleration?

Yes, you can use the formula F = m * g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth). This is known as the weight formula and is commonly used in physics problems involving force.

3. How do I know which unit of measurement to use for mass and distance?

For mass, you should use kilograms (kg) as the standard unit of measurement. For distance, you should use meters (m) as the standard unit of measurement. However, if other units are given, you can always convert them to the appropriate units before calculating force.

4. Is the direction of the force important in this calculation?

Yes, the direction of the force is important and should be taken into consideration when calculating force. This is because force is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of the force can affect the overall outcome of the calculation.

5. Can I use this formula to calculate force in any scenario?

The formula F = m * a, or F = m * g if acceleration is not given, can be used to calculate force in scenarios involving constant acceleration. If the acceleration is not constant, other formulas such as Newton's second law (F = ma) or the work-energy theorem (W = F * d) may need to be used.