1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are these torques correct for a simple balancing/fulcrum exp

1. Mar 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For my physics lab, they had us do a simple static equilibrium experiment where we rested a ruler on a fulcrum (at its center of mass) and then attached varying amounts of weight on either end at different distances from the fulcrum. This screenshot is the data we recorded (F1 is the weight of Mass 1 in Newtons, and the same for F2):

Untitled_2.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    I believe the torque is supposed to be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance from the fulcrum, correct? And if that's right, then shouldn't the two torques cancel out since the ruler was balanced when the weights were added to it? Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Correct.

Correct. My guess is you wrote down a weight or dimension incorrectly or made a calculating error somewhere.

4. Mar 2, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you sure about the 5.2N? That's a 53g mass. I'll bet it was 50g.

5. Mar 2, 2016 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you meant 530g and 500g but good call.

6. Mar 2, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks, well spotted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted