1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How do I find the acceleration of a crate based on weight?

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    I'm a little confused on how to complete this problem. Any help would be appreciated

A 32 kg crate is pushed on a floor with a kinetic friction coefficient of .45. If the crate is pushed with a force of 220 N at an angle of 21 degrees below the horizontal, then what is the acceleration of the crate?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2
    Acceleration of a Crate

1. A 32 kg crate is pushed on a floor with a kinetic friction coefficient of .45. If the crate is pushed with a force of 220 N at an angle of 21 degrees below the horizontal, then what is the acceleration of the crate?

Relevant equations
    a=g(sinθ-μkcosθ)

μk=-a/g

3. The attempt at a solution
    a=9.81(.3584-.4201)
    a=-.604 m/s2

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  4. Feb 24, 2010 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Draw the free body diagram for the object. Split the force into its x and y components. Then simply use Newton's 2nd law

5. Feb 24, 2010 #4
    Re: Acceleration of a Crate

[tex]
    \vec F_{Lorentz}=0[/tex]

6. Feb 24, 2010 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi spider3367! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    erm :redface: … that's completely the wrong formula (it looks like the formula for steady motion on a slope, of angle θ).

This is a flat floor, and the normal force is greater than usual because the applied force (of 220 N) is increasing it.
    uhh? what's FLorentz ? :confused:

7. Feb 24, 2010 #6
    Re: Acceleration of a Crate

I forgot to add that I am given the answer: .865m/s2. I just need to show how to arrive at it. I assumed the 220cos (21)-.45(32)(29)/32 was the correct way to do it as mentioned above, but clearly that does not come out to .865. What am I doing wrong???

8. Feb 24, 2010 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

(two threads merged)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook