How do I find the acceleration of a crate based on weight?

In summary, a 32 kg crate is pushed with a force of 220 N at an angle of 21 degrees below the horizontal and the acceleration is -.604 m/s2.
spider3367
I'm a little confused on how to complete this problem. Any help would be appreciated

A 32 kg crate is pushed on a floor with a kinetic friction coefficient of .45. If the crate is pushed with a force of 220 N at an angle of 21 degrees below the horizontal, then what is the acceleration of the crate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration of a Crate

1. A 32 kg crate is pushed on a floor with a kinetic friction coefficient of .45. If the crate is pushed with a force of 220 N at an angle of 21 degrees below the horizontal, then what is the acceleration of the crate?Relevant equations
a=g(sinθ-μkcosθ)

μk=-a/g3. The Attempt at a Solution
a=9.81(.3584-.4201)
a=-.604 m/s2

Last edited:
Draw the free body diagram for the object. Split the force into its x and y components. Then simply use Newton's 2nd law

[tex]
\vec F_{Lorentz}=0[/tex]

Welcome to PF!

Hi spider3367! Welcome to PF! :smile:
spider3367 said:
1. A 32 kg crate is pushed on a floor with a kinetic friction coefficient of .45. If the crate is pushed with a force of 220 N at an angle of 21 degrees below the horizontal, then what is the acceleration of the crate?

Relevant equations
a=g(sinθ-μkcosθ)

erm :redface: … that's completely the wrong formula (it looks like the formula for steady motion on a slope, of angle θ).

This is a flat floor, and the normal force is greater than usual because the applied force (of 220 N) is increasing it.
der.physika said:
[tex]
\vec F_{Lorentz}=0[/tex]

uhh? what's FLorentz ? :confused:

I forgot to add that I am given the answer: .865m/s2. I just need to show how to arrive at it. I assumed the 220cos (21)-.45(32)(29)/32 was the correct way to do it as mentioned above, but clearly that does not come out to .865. What am I doing wrong?

(two threads merged)

1. How do I calculate the acceleration of a crate based on its weight?

To calculate the acceleration of a crate based on its weight, you will need to use the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force acting on the crate, and m is the mass of the crate. The weight of the crate can be used as the force acting on it, as weight is a type of force. So, the acceleration can be calculated by dividing the weight of the crate by its mass.

2. What is the relationship between weight and acceleration for a crate?

The relationship between weight and acceleration for a crate is that weight is a type of force and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. This means that as the weight of the crate increases, the force acting on it also increases and therefore, the acceleration also increases. In simpler terms, a heavier crate will experience a greater acceleration than a lighter crate.

3. Can I use the weight of the crate to determine its acceleration?

Yes, you can use the weight of the crate to determine its acceleration. As mentioned earlier, weight is a type of force and can be used in the formula a = F/m to calculate acceleration. However, it is important to note that the weight used in this formula should be in the unit of newtons (N) and not kilograms (kg).

4. How does the surface the crate is on affect its acceleration?

The surface the crate is on can affect its acceleration in two ways. Firstly, the coefficient of friction between the crate and the surface can determine the amount of force needed to move the crate, which in turn affects the acceleration. Secondly, the surface can also affect the direction of the force acting on the crate, which can impact the acceleration. For example, a crate placed on a ramp will experience a different acceleration compared to a crate placed on a flat surface.

5. What other factors besides weight can affect the acceleration of a crate?

Besides weight, other factors that can affect the acceleration of a crate include the surface it is on, the coefficient of friction, and any other external forces acting on the crate such as air resistance or applied forces. The shape and size of the crate can also play a role in its acceleration, as it can impact the amount of resistance it experiences. Additionally, the mass of the crate and the force applied to it can also affect its acceleration.