How do I find the acceleration of gravity

In summary, the individual is attempting to find the acceleration of gravity in their area by conducting an experiment with a ramp and cart. They have collected data such as the height, angle, and length of the ramp, as well as the time it takes for the cart to travel down the ramp. The individual is unsure of how to calculate the acceleration of gravity, as the ramp is at an angle between 45 and 90 degrees. They have attempted to use trigonometry but have not been successful. Their teacher has suggested extrapolation as a method to find the acceleration of gravity.
Vodkacannon
I need to find the acceleration of gravity in my area (I live 287 meters above sea level.)

I know that y = 0.5*g*t2, y=(v22-v12)/2*g, fg=m*g, and F= G*m1*m2/d^2

I placed a ramp at an arbitrary angle. I found the height of the ramp, the angle of the ramp, and the length of the ramp.
I placed a cart on the ramp and let it run down to the end of the ramp, timing the whole trip.
I've got all this data and I'm not sure how I would calculate g, for it is a vertical force and my ramp is somewhere in-between 90 and 45 degrees.
(I have messed around with trig. but got no where).

You see I haven't given you all of the data, I'm not looking for the exact answer I just need a general statement on how to find g in this situation.

My teacher gave me a hint, he said to "extrapolate."

Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration you measured down the slope is due to that component of gravity that acts down the slope. Draw the diagram and show us what trig you used and perhaps we can see the error.

What is acceleration of gravity?

The acceleration of gravity, denoted as g, is a physical constant that represents the rate at which objects fall towards the Earth due to the force of gravity. It is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²).

How is acceleration of gravity calculated?

The acceleration of gravity can be calculated using the formula g = GM/r², where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance between the object and the center of the Earth.

What factors affect the acceleration of gravity?

The acceleration of gravity is affected by the mass of the Earth, the distance between the object and the center of the Earth, and the universal gravitational constant. It is also slightly affected by altitude and latitude, but these effects are negligible.

How do I measure the acceleration of gravity?

The acceleration of gravity can be measured using a variety of methods, such as dropping objects and measuring their free fall time, using a pendulum, or using a device called an accelerometer. These methods can provide accurate measurements of g with different levels of precision.

Why is the acceleration of gravity important?

The acceleration of gravity is an important concept in physics and has many practical applications. It is used in engineering to design structures and machines, in physics to understand the motion of objects, and in space exploration to calculate trajectories and orbits. It also plays a crucial role in everyday activities such as walking, driving, and sports.