How do I find the area of a Quadrilateral?

  • Thread starter Thread starter zak100
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
16 replies · 3K views
zak100
Messages
462
Reaction score
11
Originally posted in a non-homework forum section
Hi,
I got a question from a book to find the area of a Quadrilateral. I divided the quadrilateral into two triangles but answer is not correct. Some body please guide me.

I am uploading my work in a attached file.

Zulfi.
Book Page 315.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For ADB, did you write ##A=\frac {1}{2}(6)(4)^2##?

And is triangle DBC a right triangle?
 
Last edited:
Oh, and this should also be in the homework forum, not general math.
 
For ADB is correct. For the second isn't simply ##\frac{1}{2}6\times 6##, hint: calculate ##BD## and ##DC## (that are not ##6##) ...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
Ssnow said:
For ADB is correct. For the second isn't simply ##\frac{1}{2}6\times 6##, hint: calculate ##BD## and ##DC## (that are not ##6##) ...
distance formula :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ssnow
Hi,
Thanks for replies. This is not a hw. Its exam preparation. But i would put my future questions related to book in a homework forum. I think you judge hws with the usage of books?
BD= sqrt(sqr( 5-1) + sqr(1-7))
= sqrt(16 + 36)
=2 *Sqrt(13)
Ans=? (I can't use calculator in exam)
DC = sqrt(sqr(11-5) + sqr(5-1))
= sqrt(36 + 16)
= 2*sqrt(13)

area of DBC = 1/2 (2*sqrt(13)) * ( 2 *sqrt(13))
Ans = 26

Area od ABCD = 26 + 12 =38.

This is the correct answer. Thanks.

Zulfi.
 
zak100 said:
Hi,
Thanks for replies. This is not a hw. Its exam preparation. But i would put my future questions related to book in a homework forum. I think you judge hws with the usage of books?
BD= sqrt(sqr( 5-1) + sqr(1-7))
= sqrt(16 + 36)
=2 *Sqrt(13)
Ans=? (I can't use calculator in exam)
DC = sqrt(sqr(11-5) + sqr(5-1))
= sqrt(36 + 16)
= 2*sqrt(13)

area of DBC = 1/2 (2*sqrt(13)) * ( 2 *sqrt(13))
Ans = 26

Area od ABCD = 26 + 12 =38.

This is the correct answer. Thanks.

Zulfi.
How do you know that ΔDBC is a right triangle ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
Hi,
No I am not saying that DBC is a right angle triangle. That's why i think they have asked me to use distance formula. However from fig it looks that ABD is a right angle triangle, so i am not using distance formula here and calculating the area directly using 1/2 alt * base formula.

I also have a question:
for triangle DBC why are we using sides DB & DC? why can't we take sides DB & BC??
Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.
 
zak100 said:
Hi,
No I am not saying that DBC is a right angle triangle. That's why i think they have asked me to use distance formula. However from fig it looks that ABD is a right angle triangle, so i am not using distance formula here and calculating the area directly using 1/2 alt * base formula.

I also have a question:
for triangle DBC why are we using sides DB & DC? why can't we take sides DB & BC??
Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.
What are you using as a formula to calculate the area of a triangle ?

The altitude is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Oh, and this should also be in the homework forum, not general math.
Thread moved.

zak100 said:
Thanks for replies. This is not a hw. Its exam preparation. But i would put my future questions related to book in a homework forum. I think you judge hws with the usage of books?
This forum section is for homework and coursework, which includes problems found in textbooks.
 
SammyS said:
How do you know that ΔDBC is a right triangle ?
SammyS said:
What are you using as a formula to calculate the area of a triangle ?

The altitude is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex.
That is why I asked whether DBC was a right triangle or not. If DBC is not a right triangle, then you can not you ##A=\frac {1}{2}bh## to find the area. Instead, you have to use Heron’s theorem which states ##A=\sqrt {(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)}## where ##s=\frac {1}{2}(a+b+c)## and variables ##a##, ##b##, and ##c## are the sides of the triangle.
 
ProfuselyQuarky said:
That is why I asked whether DBC was a right triangle or not. If DBC is not a right triangle, then you can not you ##A=\frac {1}{2}bh## to find the area. Instead, you have to use Heron’s theorem which states ##A=\sqrt {(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)}## where ##s=\frac {1}{2}(a+b+c)## and variables ##a##, ##b##, and ##c## are the sides of the triangle.
Are you giving the solution, or are you trying to help OP.

Heron's theorem is not needed here.
 
SammyS said:
Are you giving the solution, or are you trying to help OP.

Heron's theorem is not needed here.
I was just helping the OP overall. Nothing to do with the specific problem :smile:
 
One easy way to solve this kind of exercises is a variation on the "box method", illustrated here for the area of a triangle.

Add the points E(11,7) and F(11,1) to your graph, and the area of ABCD can be easily computed:

quadri.jpg


Or decompose your quadrilateral as follows:

quadri2.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky and SammyS