How do I find the area of the blue section in this trig circle problem?

  • Thread starter Thread starter onandon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area Circle Trig
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
onandon
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


This is my own sketch of the problem. The radii are listed, and the circles are all tangent. I need to find the area of the blue part.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


I've been staring at this for hours. I really have no idea where to start. I'm just looking for a push in the right direction.

Thanks for any help.

Homework Statement


Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Join centers of the circles to form a triangle with sides of 11,9 and 10 units. As you can see this triangle contains blue part+ quarter of each circle.
thus area of the blue part is:
area of the triangle joining centers - 1/4*(area of each circle)
 
santapuri.1 said:
Join centers of the circles to form a triangle with sides of 11,9 and 10 units. As you can see this triangle contains blue part+ quarter of each circle.
thus area of the blue part is:
area of the triangle joining centers - 1/4*(area of each circle)

Thanks a ton!