Find the Area of the Shaded Section in a Circle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a shaded section in a circle with a known diameter of 10 cm. The equation for the area of a circle and diameter are provided, and the solution is shown to be dependent on the unknown angle between two rays. Suggestions are given to find the range of possible values for the shaded area. The importance of distinguishing between diameter and circumference is also emphasized.
M. M. Fahad Joy
Member warned that the homework template must be used.
Known data:
IMG_20180529_180642.jpg

In the picture, CD = 10 cm. What is the area of shaded area?

Equation:
I know,
Area of a circle = ##πr^2##
Diameter of a circle = ##2πr##

Attempt:
Here, ## r = 10/2 = 5 ##
So, diameter ## = 2πr = 2*3.1416*5 = 31.42 cm ##
And area of the circle ## = πr^2 = 3.1416*5^2 = 78.54 cm^2 ##
But I don't know how to find out the area of sheded section.
Please help me.

Attachments

• IMG_20180529_180642.jpg
    IMG_20180529_180642.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 796
  • IMG_20180529_180642.jpg
    IMG_20180529_180642.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
M. M. Fahad Joy said:
View attachment 226609

I know,

Here, ## r = 10/2 = 5 ##
Please help me.
You don't have enough information to get a numerical value for this area, as it depends on the angle between the two rays that define the circle sector. The best you can do is to get an expression that involves this angle.

Likes M. M. Fahad Joy
Mark44 said:
You don't have enough information to get a numerical value for this area, as it depends on the angle between the two rays that define the circle sector. The best you can do is to get an expression that involves this angle.
Can I get the value of AB?

M. M. Fahad Joy said:
Can I get the value of AB?
No, not without knowing that angle. You can write an expression that involves the angle, but you can't get a numerical value without knowing the angle.

Likes M. M. Fahad Joy
Mark44 said:
No, not without knowing that angle. You can write an expression that involves the angle, but you can't get a numerical value without knowing the angle.
It means it is an unanswerable question. Isn't it? It is a question from creative talent hunt.

M. M. Fahad Joy said:
It means it is an unanswerable question. Isn't it? It is a question from creative talent hunt.

Perhaps they want you to supply some additional information, or create a question of your own! For example, if you let ##x## be the length of segment AB, you can try to develop formulas for the shaded area and the angle DOA in terms of ##x##. Alternatively, you can assume that ##y## is the angle DOA and then try to develop a formula for ##x## or for the shaded area.

Likes M. M. Fahad Joy
Or maybe they were hoping you would give the range of possible values for the shaded area. You could give its min and max possible values quickly without solving for the area in terms of the angle.

Likes M. M. Fahad Joy
LCKurtz said:
Or maybe they were hoping you would give the range of possible values for the shaded area. You could give its min and max possible values quickly without solving for the area in terms of the angle.
But how? Would you give me hint?

M. M. Fahad Joy said:
But how? Would you give me hint?
Try drawing the figure with angle AOB smaller. A lot smaller. Then larger. How small and large can it get? What happens to the shaded area when you do it?

Likes M. M. Fahad Joy
LCKurtz said:
Try drawing the figure with angle AOB smaller. A lot smaller. Then larger. How small and large can it get? What happens to the shaded area when you do it?
0° to 360°
0 sq. cm to 78.54 sq. cm
Right or not?

Right.

Likes M. M. Fahad Joy
M. M. Fahad Joy said:
Known data:
View attachment 226609

Equation:
I know,

Attempt:
Here, ## r = 10/2 = 5 ##
Please help me.

Note: the diameter of the circle is just ##2r= 10##cm in this case. The circumference is ##2 \pi r##! You must distinguish between diameter and circumference; otherwise, you will lose marks on exams.

Likes M. M. Fahad Joy
Ray Vickson said:
Note: the diameter of the circle is just ##2r= 10##cm in this case. The circumference is ##2 \pi r##! You must distinguish between diameter and circumference; otherwise, you will lose marks on exams.
Sorry, It was a fault of my translation into English.

LCKurtz said:
Right.
Thanks for your help.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of the shaded section in a circle?

The formula for finding the area of the shaded section in a circle is (πr²)(θ/360), where r is the radius of the circle and θ is the central angle of the shaded section.

2. How do you find the value of θ for the shaded section?

The value of θ can be found by dividing the central angle of the shaded section by the total central angle of the circle (360°) and then multiplying it by the circumference of the circle. This value can then be substituted into the formula (πr²)(θ/360) to find the area of the shaded section.

3. Can the area of the shaded section be larger than the area of the entire circle?

No, the area of the shaded section can never be larger than the area of the entire circle. The maximum area of the shaded section can only be equal to the area of the entire circle when the shaded section covers the entire circle.

4. What is the significance of finding the area of the shaded section in a circle?

Finding the area of the shaded section in a circle is important in many real-life applications, such as calculating the area of a portion of land or the area of a slice of pizza. It also helps in understanding geometric concepts and solving mathematical problems involving circles.

5. Is there a simpler way to find the area of the shaded section in a circle?

Yes, if the central angle of the shaded section is given in degrees, you can simply multiply it by the square of the radius and divide by 360 to find the area of the shaded section. This method is quicker and easier than using the formula (πr²)(θ/360).