1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do i find the difference in voltage from point A to B

1. May 17, 2009 #1
    i have the following
    http://lh3.ggpht.com/_H4Iz7SmBrbk/Sg_Mj_v4_LI/AAAAAAAAA_c/Egdgr0F8hfY/s720/Untitled.jpg [Broken]

the numbers are the resistance of the resistors in ohms

and have already found the following

I1=-18/23A
    I2=-10/23
    I3=8/23

and now need to find the difference in voltage between points A and B,

what i did was take the loop from point A, going clockwise to point B, and i get

2I1 + I3 =1 + v

so i get v=-36/23 +8/23 -1 = -15/23V

but the correct answer is meant to be -67/23V, and i notice tat if i had said v=-36/23 -8/23 -1 i would have reached the correct answer, but i cannot see why there should be a negatice sign on I3 since I3 is positive 8/23 and i chose I3 clockwise

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2009 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dell,
    To begin with I don't get the same signs as you on the currents. In fact I get all as positive (as shown in your diagram). But I may have the polarity convention on the batteries reversed in which case all the currents would be negative.

Intuitively (assuming I haven't reversed battery convention) the three volt battery outweighs the 1 volt battery which would drive I1 positive. Similarly I3 should be positive and given more resistance in the I3 segment more I1 than -I3 would contribute to I2 making it positive. (assuming I have reversed battery convention this all holds but with pos<->neg).

Remember that the voltages on resistors oppose current flow.

To set up the system to solve for currents I took the Kirchoff's law (sp?)
    I2+I3=I1
    and the top loop:
    3v - 2I1 -1v - 1I2 = 0
    and the bottom loop:
    1I2 - I3 + 2v - 6I3 = 0

4. May 17, 2009 #3
    okay, getting there, i seem to have a mistake in my equations,,
    i got
    I3 = I1 - I2 which is like what you got
    7I3 - I1 = -2v for the bottom loop, also like you got
    2I1 +I2 = -2v which is opposite sign to what you got

so lets examine the top loop, i took a clockwise loop and chose both I1,I2 to be clockwise, so they will be positive, now i go into 3v's positive side and into 1v's negative so in the end i get
    I2+3v+2I1-1v=0
    I2+2I1=-2v

but you someohow got the opposite,

5. May 17, 2009 #4
    never mind, i got it,, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook