1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find the equidistant point?

1. Aug 29, 2007 #1
    1. Find the coordinates of the point on the line y=3x+1 that is equidistant from (0,0) and (-3,4)

2. distance formula

3. I have no idea how to do this. X_X

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2007 #2
    does anyone know?

4. Aug 29, 2007 #3
    nobody?

5. Aug 29, 2007 #4
    Any point on the line has coordinates (x,3x+1). Set the distance from that to (0,0) equal to the distance from that to (-3,4)

6. Aug 29, 2007 #5
    huh? can u show me? step by step

7. Aug 29, 2007 #6
    The distance between a point (x,y) and the point (-3,4) is [tex]d1=\sqrt{(x+3)^2 + (y-4)^2}[/tex]. The distance between a point (x,y) and the point (0,0) is [tex]d2 = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]. You know what y is from the equation of the line, so substitute that, set d1=d2, and solve for x.

8. Aug 29, 2007 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In future, please note that you must show some work before help can be provided-- hence the presence of #3 in the homework posting template. Furthermore, this is not calculus and should be in the precalculus forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?