1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of Parallel Plane Equidistant to a Point

1. Sep 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the equation of the plane parallel to 2x - y + 2z = 4 if the point P = (3,2,-1) is equidistant from both planes.

2. Relevant equations

a(x-x0) + b(y-y0) + c(z-z0) = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the normal vector to the given plane first, as this is quite easy. [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}[/itex] = <2,-1,2>, which is also the normal vector for the plane I am finding since they are parallel.

After that, I found a point that is on the given plane. For simplicity, I picked Q = (2,0,0). I then found the equation of the vector from the given point and the point I found, which is [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{PQ}[/itex] = <1,2,-1>. I used this vector and the normal vector to find the scalar projection of [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{PQ}[/itex] along [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}[/itex]. This came out to be [itex]\frac{-2}{3}[/itex].

So, [itex]\frac{-2}{3}[/itex] is the distance from the point to both planes. This is where I got stuck.

On my first attempt, I tried to find a point that, when I used it to find the scalar projection again, gave me the same distance.

If the scalar projection is [itex]\frac{-2}{3}[/itex], that means that [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{PQ}[/itex] = -2. So:

2a - b + 2c = -2

Now, I'm not sure if I can pick any point that makes that true and it gives me a valid equation. I assume that as long as the scalar projection is the same, and the normal vector is the same, the equation would be a valid, parallel plane?

I used the point (-1,0,0), which gives me the equation 2(x+1)- y + 2z = 0

I would like to know if this is correct. Since afterward, I looked at the work of my professor and he used a different method that I. Here's what he did.

He started out the same, by picking a point on the given plane and finding [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{PQ}[/itex] and finding the scalar projection. After that, he used this equation:

point on parallel plane = (starting point) + distance<normal vector>

So he got...

(3,2,-1) - 2/3<2,-1,2> = (5/3, 8/3, -7/3)

He then used that point to write his equation. His method makes sense to me intuitively, and seems more "concrete" than my method. The problem is, I decided to calculate the scalar projection with his calculated point and I something 2 instead of -2/3. This would imply to me that the second plane is not equidistant to the point.

So what I would like to know here, which method is correct, if either? Was I wrong to assume that I should just guess a point and that point would work? Was his equation wrong? Are we both wrong?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your professor should have used the unit-length normal vector when calculating where the point on the other plane is.

4. Sep 9, 2012 #3
    Oh yes, that makes sense. I was thinking that distance * normal vector would not give the proper distance, but I couldn't figure out why.

So is my method correct or incorrect?

And one last general question...is it correct to have a negative scalar projection, or should it be given as positive? Or does it not matter (so -2/3 and 2/3 is the same thing)?

5. Sep 9, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

With the vectors you used, the scalar projection is -2/3. I wouldn't say that -2/3 is the distance of the point from the plane, however, since distances are positive quantities.

I don't think your answer is correct. I got 2x-y+2z=0 for the other plane. (But I may have messed up as well.)

6. Sep 9, 2012 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's another approach you might try. You have a unit normal ##\hat n = \frac 1 3\langle 2,-1,2\rangle##, and using that in your formula gave ##-\frac 2 3##. This just means your normal points to the other side of the plane than where the given point is.

You know the plane you seek must have the form ##2x-y+2z=k##. It will be on the other side of the given point so the same normal will give a positive scalar projection. An easy point on that plane is ##(0,-k,0)##. So do the same work and choose ##k## to get ##\frac 2 3##. I think you will discover Vela's answer is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook