1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find the forces acting on a ladder?

1. Mar 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "To get up on the roof, a person (mass 70.0 kg) places a 6.00-m aluminum ladder (mass 10.0 kg) against the house on a concrete pad with the base of the ladder 2.00 m from the house. The ladder rests against a plastic rain gutter, which we can assume to be friction-less. The center of mass of the ladder is 2.00 m from the bottom. The person is standing 3.00 m from the bottom. Find the normal reaction and friction forces on the ladder at its base."
    hLY9Yvc.png

2. Relevant equations
    ##\theta=cos^{-1}(\frac{1}{3})=tan^{-1}(2\sqrt{2})##
    ##m_0=10kg##
    ##s_0=\frac{2 m}{tan\theta}##
    ##m_1=70kg##
    ##s_1=\frac{3 m}{tan\theta}##
    ##||s||=6m##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm choosing my lever arm to be the point at which the ladder touches the ground.

##∑|τ|=-g(m_0s_0+m_1s_1)+||s||cos\theta⋅F_r=0##
    ##∑F_x=-gcos\theta(m_0+m_1)-F_r+f_s=0##

##F_r=f_s-gcos\theta(m_0+m_1)##
    ##F_r⋅||s||⋅cos\theta=g(m_0s_0+m_1s_1)##
    ##F_r=\frac{g}{||s||}sec\theta(m_0s_0+m_1s_1)##
    ##f_s-gcos\theta(m_0+m_1)=\frac{g}{||s||}sec\theta(m_0s_0+m_1s_1)##
    ##f_s=gcos\theta(m_0+m_1)+\frac{g}{||s||}sec\theta(m_0s_0+m_1s_1)##

Can anyone tell me if I'm going in the right direction? Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the correct approach. But I noticed a few things:

(1) It is always helpful to define the symbols that you are using. For example, I had to try to decipher your equations to decide what angle you are calling ##\theta##. Likewise for the symbols ##s_1##, ##s##, and ##s_0##.

(2) The problem states that "the center of mass of the ladder is 2.00 m from the bottom". I think this probably means that the center of mass is 2.00 m along the ladder starting from the bottom of the ladder. If they meant it the way you interpreted it, I think they would have said that the center of mass is 2.00 m above the ground. Similarly for the position of the person.

(2) You wrote the equation ##∑|τ|=-g(m_0s_0+m_1s_1)+||s||cos\theta⋅F_r=0##. Check to make sure that the expression for the lever arm for ##F_r## is correct.

4. Mar 18, 2017 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On more thing, it looks like you have assumed that the forces of gravity have a horizontal component. Is this right?

5. Mar 18, 2017 #4
    Oh, it's ##||s||sin\theta⋅F_r##, right? ##F_r## acts horizontally, so the lever arm is the vertical component of ##||s||##.

Forgive me. I think I should treat the ladder as a point mass for the summation of forces expression.

##∑F_x=f_s-F_r=0##
    ##∑F_y=-(m_0+m_1)g+F_N=0##

6. Mar 18, 2017 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That all looks good.

7. Mar 19, 2017 #6
    ##\theta=cos^{-1}(\frac{1}{3})##
    ##m_0=70 kg##
    ##s_0=3 m##
    ##m_1=10kg##
    ##s_1=32 m##

##∑|τ|=-gcos\theta(m_0s_0+m_1s_1)+F_r(||s||sin\theta)=0##
    ##F_r=(\frac{g}{||s||})(cot\theta)(m_0s_0+m_1s_1)=(\frac{9.8\frac{m}{s^2}}{6m})(\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}})((70kg)(3m)+(10kg)(2m))=133 N##
    ##∑F_x=f_s-F_r=0##
    ##f_s=F_r=133N##

##∑F_y=F_N-g(m_0+m_1)=0##
    ##F_N=g(m_0+m_1)=784N##

8. Mar 19, 2017 #7
    I tried to do a quick check and it looks like your results for Fr and FN are correct.

9. Mar 19, 2017 #8
    Is that right? I probably need a new physics problem book because it says that ##F_N=784N## but ##f_s=376N##.

10. Mar 19, 2017 #9
    I just repeated the sum of the moment equation and once again calculated 132.8 N for Fr, which is equal to -fs, since those are the only 2 horizontal forces. So I think that is the correct answer unless you and I are both doing something fundamentally wrong.

11. Mar 19, 2017 #10
    It looks like the book incorrectly used (Fr)(||s||)(cosθ), instead of (Fr)(||s||)(sinθ) when calculating the moment from force Fr.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted