How do I find the length of a curve using calculus?

• Thread starter derek181
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary, to find the length of a curve, you need to break it down into small segments and use calculus to find the length of each segment and add them together. The formula for finding the length of a curve is L = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2)dx. It is not possible to accurately find the length of a curve without using calculus. The shape of a curve can greatly affect its length, with more curved or sharper bends resulting in a longer length. Real-world applications for finding the length of curves include engineering, physics, and architecture, where it is used to calculate distances, wire lengths, and design structures.
derek181
I am just learning how to find lengths of curves using calculus. √((dx)2+(dy)2)→∫√(1+(dy)2)dx. My question is how are you able to bring out the dx. Is this some sort of algebraic trick I've never heard of. Can someone please explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind, you just multiply by dx/dx

You should have √(1+(dy/dx)²) for the second integrand.

It is [{1+(dy/dx)^2}^0.5]dx = Length of curve

Related to How do I find the length of a curve using calculus?

1. How do you find the length of a curve?

To find the length of a curve, you need to first break it down into small segments. Then, using calculus, you can find the length of each segment and add them together to get the total length of the curve. This process is called integration.

2. What is the formula for finding the length of a curve?

The formula for finding the length of a curve is the integral of the square root of 1 plus the derivative of the curve squared, with respect to the variable of integration. This can be written as: L = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2)dx.

3. Can you find the length of a curve without using calculus?

No, the length of a curve can only be accurately found using calculus. Other methods, such as using straight lines or polygons to approximate the curve, will not give an exact answer.

4. Does the shape of a curve affect its length?

Yes, the shape of a curve can greatly affect its length. Curves that are more curved or have sharper bends will have a longer length compared to curves that are more straight.

5. Are there any real-world applications for finding the length of curves?

Yes, finding the length of curves is useful in many fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It is used to calculate the distance traveled by objects on curved paths, the length of wires and cables, and the design of curved structures.