1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find the magnitude of this function?

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm asked to find the magnitude of the following complex function:

[tex]R(j \omega) = 1 + \exp{(-j \omega)} + \exp{(-j2 \omega)} + \exp{(-j3 \omega)} + \exp{(-j4 \omega)}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution

I did the following but got stuck immediately as I'm not sure on how to proceed:

[tex]|R(j \omega)| = |1 + \exp{(-j \omega)} + \exp{(-j2 \omega)} + \exp{(-j3 \omega)} + \exp{(-j4 \omega)}|[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you are doing. Maybe finding the peak value of a signal and its harmonics?

I think the idea would be to use the identity from maths: ejW=cosW + j sinW

4. Oct 4, 2011 #3
    I'm trying to find the magnitude. If I use euler's identity, then I would get multiple values of sin's and cosine's:
    [tex]R(j \omega) = 1 + \cos{(\omega)} - j\sin{(\omega)} + \cos{(2\omega)} -j\sin{(2\omega)} ... [/tex]

How do you find the magnitude of that?

5. Oct 4, 2011 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Initially, I would stick with exponential notation and recall that [itex]|z|^2=zz^*[/itex]. Once you have computed [itex]|z|^2=zz^*[/itex] and simplified, you should find that you are left with a rather nice expression, which you should be able to easily convert into a real, non-negative, trigonometric expression.

6. Oct 4, 2011 #5
    Does that mean I take the conjugates like this:

[tex]R^{*} = 1 - \exp{(-j \omega)} - \exp{(-j2 \omega)} - \exp{(-j3 \omega)} - \exp{(-j4 \omega)} [/tex]

or

[tex]R^{*} = 1 + \exp{(j \omega)} + \exp{(j2 \omega)} + \exp{(j3 \omega)} + \exp{(j4 \omega)} [/tex]

7. Oct 4, 2011 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. Like this:
    Remember that if [itex]z = Re^{i\theta}[/itex], then [itex]z^* = (e^{i\theta})^*R^*[/itex], but since R is real: [itex]z^* = R(e^{i\theta})^* = Re^{-i\theta}[/itex] (check this using Euler's formula if you are unsure).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook