How do I find the radius of curvature?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hawking Jr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curvature Radius
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Hawking Jr
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
A concave makeup mirror is designed so that a person 29.3 in front of it sees an upright image at a distance of 54.2 cm behind the mirror.What is the radius of curvature of the mirror?
Relevant Equations
1/f=1/p + 1/q and 1/p +1/q = 2/R
I figured out that the focal distance is 19.01868
 
Physics news on Phys.org
And you want to know what? The radius of curvature? Do you know the relationship between the focal length and the radius of curvature?

And by the way, is the image real or virtual? And how did your answer to that question affect the way you did your calculation?
 
The focal length is half of the radius curvature. So I multiplied it by 2 and I still got it wrong. The image is virtual.
 
Okay I redid the problem and the answer I have now is 127.55 cm. Is it correct?