1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do i find the value of cos(theta)

1. Nov 13, 2006 #1
    How do i find the value of cos(theta) if theta was given as 75(+/-)5?

Ans:____(+/-)_____.

How do i even start with this? How do i find the uncertainty of cos (theta)? Do i use the uncertainty of theta or the fractional uncertainty? Or do i just find cos 80, cos 75 and cos 70 and then find the uncertainty by deducing it from the found values/.?

Any help will truly be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You use a Taylor expansion.
    The result is that
    [tex]
    cos (\theta \pm \delta \theta) \approx cos(\theta) \pm (\delta \theta) ~sin(\theta)[/tex]
    where you must use [itex] \delta \theta [/itex] in radians .

Hope this helps.

Patrick

4. Nov 13, 2006 #3
    Hi, thanks for the help.. But one qn though. What will the value of [tex](\delta \theta) [/tex] be? Is it 5? But i though for this to apply, ur change has gotta be small? i calculated the value of [tex](\delta \theta) ~sin(\theta)[/tex] and it is very big? Even bigger than the real value?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  5. Nov 13, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex](\delta \theta) [/tex] has to be in radians. It would not be 5. Even so, it is possible for the uncertainty to be bigger than the value. For θ very near 90°, cos(θ) is near zero and sin(θ) is nearly 1, so the error would be about [tex](\delta \theta) [/tex], which could easily be bigger than cos(θ) even when expressed properly in radians.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?