Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How do i find the value of cos(theta)

1. Nov 13, 2006 #1
    How do i find the value of cos(theta) if theta was given as 75(+/-)5?

Ans:____(+/-)_____.

How do i even start with this? How do i find the uncertainty of cos (theta)? Do i use the uncertainty of theta or the fractional uncertainty? Or do i just find cos 80, cos 75 and cos 70 and then find the uncertainty by deducing it from the found values/.?

Any help will truly be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You use a Taylor expansion.
    The result is that
    [tex]
    cos (\theta \pm \delta \theta) \approx cos(\theta) \pm (\delta \theta) ~sin(\theta)[/tex]
    where you must use [itex] \delta \theta [/itex] in radians .

Hope this helps.

Patrick

4. Nov 13, 2006 #3
    Hi, thanks for the help.. But one qn though. What will the value of [tex](\delta \theta) [/tex] be? Is it 5? But i though for this to apply, ur change has gotta be small? i calculated the value of [tex](\delta \theta) ~sin(\theta)[/tex] and it is very big? Even bigger than the real value?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  5. Nov 13, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex](\delta \theta) [/tex] has to be in radians. It would not be 5. Even so, it is possible for the uncertainty to be bigger than the value. For θ very near 90°, cos(θ) is near zero and sin(θ) is nearly 1, so the error would be about [tex](\delta \theta) [/tex], which could easily be bigger than cos(θ) even when expressed properly in radians.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook