How do I get motivation to study mathematics?

In summary, studying mathematics can be motivated by the challenge of solving tough problems and the satisfaction that comes from solving them. Some people even get a sort of "high" from solving difficult math problems. Others are motivated by the beauty and elegance of mathematical theory, while some are drawn to the practical applications of math in fields like programming and game design. Ultimately, motivation for studying math can come from a variety of sources, including personal interests and the desire to understand complex concepts and solve complex problems.
Tosh5457
I've always liked mathematics, and I've always preferred to study mathematics over any other discipline. But now that I'm studying at a more advanced level, it's kind of hard to keep the motivation to study it.

For you who study mathematics, what's your motivation for studying it(other than getting good grades)?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the exact opposite for me. The harder the topic, the more motivated I become. You might think I'm kind of weird but certain people get high off of weed. I get high from figuring out tough math problems. LOL. That high is unlike anything else in the world...

On another note, maybe the topic just isn't what you want to learn?

Likes tuxscholar
DeadOriginal said:
It's the exact opposite for me. The harder the topic, the more motivated I become. You might think I'm kind of weird but certain people get high off of weed. I get high from figuring out tough math problems. LOL. That high is unlike anything else in the world...

Where does that motivation come from? I guess you have that motivation because you like to challenge yourself mentally? Our motivation is totally different I think, I prefer the part of studying the theory rather than resolving problems.

For me the harder the topic, the more hard I have to work (of course). And the more I work, the more I think if that knowledge is worth the effort.

On another note, maybe the topic just isn't what you want to learn?
I can't see me learning anything else than mathematics, I don't even care much about physics (even though I'm in physics bachelor). Sometimes I get really excited from learning, and I even go to previous maths textbooks and internet to see the connections with the things I've learned before.

Tosh5457 said:
Where does that motivation come from? I guess you have that motivation because you like to challenge yourself mentally? Our motivation is totally different I think, I prefer the part of studying the theory rather than resolving problems.

For me the harder the topic, the more hard I have to work (of course). And the more I work, the more I think if that knowledge is worth the effort.

I'm not sure where that motivation comes from exactly. Its just the feeling I get after finishing a problem. After every problem I look forward to the next time I can feel ...that feeling I guess you would say lol. Accomplished? Maybe. Satisfied? Maybe. I don't know what that feeling is exactly but it's addictive.

I also enjoy the theory more than crunching numbers. I plan to go to graduate school to study pure mathematics but I plan to make a career in applied mathematics. I haven't figured out how that's going to work yet but I'll manage. I guess you can call me a hybrid. I like both applied and theoretical.

I can't see me learning anything else than mathematics, I don't even care much about physics (even though I'm in physics bachelor). Sometimes I get really excited from learning, and I even go to previous maths textbooks and internet to see the connections with the things I've learned before.

I don't mean you aren't interested in math in general. I meant maybe you aren't interested in that type of math that you are doing. For example, my interests are in number theory and differential equations. Something I do enjoy but would find boring from time to time would be like statistics. Maybe the topic you are learning right now isn't entertaining to you. I know when something gets boring to me I lose motivation.

Well I'm not sure how far you've gotten in math or what types of classes you're taking but I do know mathematics encompasses an enormous and strikingly diverse body of knowledge and there is generally something for everyone. if you're more interested in mathematical beauty and appreciating the theory than in being a problem solver, then I imagine algebra is what would float your boat; where one is more focused on checking tautologies and looking at illuminating examples, rather than on investigating the often idiosyncratic behavior of a particular mathematical object.

Although I do find in these structure/theory heavy areas of math that it can generally be quite dry and difficult to keep up the motivation until you accrete enough of the theory to begin to see the forest rather than the trees, so to speak, and then it is quite a lovely experience.

Last edited:
Poopsilon said:
if you're more interested in mathematical beauty and appreciating the theory than in being a problem solver, then I imagine algebra is what would float your boat; where one is more focused on checking tautologies and looking at illuminating examples, rather than on investigating the often idiosyncratic behavior of a particular mathematical object.

Uuuh, what?? Algebra isn't about problem solving? Algebra was INVENTED for problem solving! Those nice algebraic structures are there for a reason. They aren't there only to be aesthetically pleasing...

Tosh5457 said:
I've always liked mathematics, and I've always preferred to study mathematics over any other discipline. But now that I'm studying at a more advanced level, it's kind of hard to keep the motivation to study it.

For you who study mathematics, what's your motivation for studying it(other than getting good grades)?

One thing that motivates me to study mathematics is when you come across certain results or frameworks that allow you to do really powerful things.

For example in experimental design, there are generic methods to find whether there are interaction effects between treatments. It might seem irrelevant to you, but to me I'm amazed that someone or a group of people developed this generic tool to find interactions.

Also before I did formal study in mathematics I used to program and I did game design. If you want to see applications of tonnes of mathematics, then this is definitely a good candidate. Interested in geometry? Then look at 3D math, parametric objects (Splines, NURBS), spatial classification algorithms (used in collision detection and to optimize things like rendering. What about lighting models? Look at standard lighting, radiosity lighting, ray-tracing. They all contain math, including calculus.

This is one reason why I like math, because I did a lot of programming that applied the math and as a result I can see applications a lot quicker than if I did not take on this route.

I've kind of had the same problem, too. What makes me motivated is that there are a lot of beautiful theorems in math. When I was little I was extremely interested in math because I loved solving problems and finding patterns and really understanding what's going on. Now I find that I need to look for beautiful theorems in math to keep me engaged. If you have time and don't know some examples already, you might want to read about the Riemann hypothesis, the Gauss-Bonnet theorem, and Gauss' theorem egregium. I'm reading Hungerford's Algebra right now, and it's hard to stay motivated unless you read outside the textbook to see how algebra is used in more interesting theorems, like Polya's enumeration theorem. Also you might want to learn about the 17 crystallographic groups or something.

1. How can I stay motivated to study mathematics?

Staying motivated to study mathematics can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to help. One strategy is to set specific goals for yourself, whether it's mastering a particular topic or achieving a certain grade. Another way to stay motivated is to find a study group or accountability partner to help keep you on track. Additionally, reminding yourself of the practical applications and benefits of mathematics can also provide motivation.

2. What can I do if I find math boring or difficult?

If you find math boring or difficult, it's important to identify the root of the problem. Are you struggling with a particular concept or do you simply not enjoy the subject? If it's a specific concept, consider seeking help from a tutor or reaching out to your teacher for clarification. If you're just not interested in math, try to find ways to make it more engaging, such as using real-life examples or incorporating hands-on activities into your studying.

3. How often should I study math?

The frequency of your math study sessions will depend on your personal schedule and learning style. However, it's generally recommended to study math at least a few times a week for 30-60 minutes per session. Consistency is key when it comes to learning math, so try to find a schedule that works for you and stick to it.

4. How can I improve my math study habits?

Improving your math study habits can greatly impact your motivation and success in the subject. Some tips for better math study habits include finding a quiet and organized study space, breaking up your study sessions into manageable chunks, and practicing active learning techniques such as summarizing and teaching the material to someone else. Additionally, make sure to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.

5. What are some effective study strategies for math?

There are various study strategies that can help improve your understanding and retention of math concepts. These include practicing problems regularly, working through examples step-by-step, seeking help when needed, and actively engaging with the material through note-taking and asking questions. Another helpful strategy is to connect new concepts to previously learned material, as this can help solidify your understanding of the subject as a whole.