How do I integrate expressions with varying mass and air resistance in a rocket?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BitterX
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Air Rocket
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
BitterX
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Because this is not a 'formal' question I won't use the template.

I was wondering, what if I have a rocket (varying mass) with air resistance acting upon it?
Let's say the [itex]F=-kv[/itex]
u is the speed of the rocket relative to the gas, and the rate of mass/second extracted is
b
without g it would look like this:
[itex]\frac{dv}{v} =-u \frac{dm}{mv}-\frac{k}{m}dt[/itex]


My problem is that I don't know how I can integrate the expressions in the right side.
I'm sure I can't use the variable v as a constant in dm/mv but maybe I'm wrong.

The only book I have about mechanics is Berkeley's book, if this type of problems are in another, please point me to it. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BitterX! :wink:
BitterX said:
u is the speed of the rocket relative to the gas, and the rate of mass/second extracted is b

dm/dt = -b …

does that help? :smile:​
 
Ok, so:
[itex]F= ub - kv[/itex]

[itex]m\frac{dv}{dt}= ub - kv[/itex]

[itex]m\frac{dv}{dt}=ub-k\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]

now I'm still stuck

[itex]m\frac{dv}{v}=(\frac{ub}{v}-k)dt[/itex]

[itex]vdt=dx \Rightarrow \frac{dt}{v}=\frac{dx}{v^2} = \frac{dv}{v^2 dt}[/itex]

how can I isolate v to be only with dv?
should I use [itex]m=M_0 - bt[/itex]?
 
Hi BitterX! :smile:
BitterX said:
Ok, so:
[itex]F= ub - kv[/itex]

[itex]m\frac{dv}{dt}= ub - kv[/itex]

Why did you introduce x in the next line?? :rolleyes:

Just separate the variables, and solve! :biggrin:​
 
I'm really sorry, but that's exactly my problem.
I can't see how can I separate v and m,
If I divide by v and m I'm still stuck with [itex]\frac{ ub}{mv}dt[/itex]
and [itex]\frac{ k}{m}dt[/itex]

how can I integrate [itex]\frac{dt}{m}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{dt}{mv}[/itex]?

and more generally, is there a text about how to do these things?

Thanks for the help :)
 
Last edited: