How do I integrate expressions with varying mass and air resistance in a rocket?

In summary, this question is asking how to integrate expressions for the rate of mass/second extracted and the speed of the rocket relative to the gas. The problem is that the author doesn't know how to integrate the expressions and is stuck.
BitterX
Because this is not a 'formal' question I won't use the template.

I was wondering, what if I have a rocket (varying mass) with air resistance acting upon it?
Let's say the [itex]F=-kv[/itex]
u is the speed of the rocket relative to the gas, and the rate of mass/second extracted is
b
without g it would look like this:
[itex]\frac{dv}{v} =-u \frac{dm}{mv}-\frac{k}{m}dt [/itex]

My problem is that I don't know how I can integrate the expressions in the right side.
I'm sure I can't use the variable v as a constant in dm/mv but maybe I'm wrong.

The only book I have about mechanics is Berkeley's book, if this type of problems are in another, please point me to it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BitterX! :wink:
BitterX said:
u is the speed of the rocket relative to the gas, and the rate of mass/second extracted is b

dm/dt = -b …

does that help? :smile:

Ok, so:
[itex]F= ub - kv[/itex]

[itex]m\frac{dv}{dt}= ub - kv[/itex]

[itex]m\frac{dv}{dt}=ub-k\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]

now I'm still stuck

[itex]m\frac{dv}{v}=(\frac{ub}{v}-k)dt[/itex]

[itex]vdt=dx \Rightarrow \frac{dt}{v}=\frac{dx}{v^2} = \frac{dv}{v^2 dt} [/itex]

how can I isolate v to be only with dv?
should I use [itex]m=M_0 - bt[/itex]?

Hi BitterX! :smile:
BitterX said:
Ok, so:
[itex]F= ub - kv[/itex]

[itex]m\frac{dv}{dt}= ub - kv[/itex]

Why did you introduce x in the next line?? :rolleyes:

Just separate the variables, and solve! :biggrin:

I'm really sorry, but that's exactly my problem.
I can't see how can I separate v and m,
If I divide by v and m I'm still stuck with [itex] \frac{ ub}{mv}dt [/itex]
and [itex] \frac{ k}{m}dt [/itex]

how can I integrate [itex]\frac{dt}{m}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{dt}{mv}[/itex]?

and more generally, is there a text about how to do these things?

Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:
Thanks! I guess I'm blind :)

Related to How do I integrate expressions with varying mass and air resistance in a rocket?

1. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a rocket?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts opposite to the direction of motion of a rocket. As a rocket moves through the air, the air particles exert a force on the rocket, slowing it down. This can cause the rocket to deviate from its intended trajectory and potentially decrease its altitude.

2. Can air resistance be reduced for a rocket?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce air resistance for a rocket. One way is to design the rocket with a streamlined shape, which allows it to move through the air more smoothly. Another way is to use materials that are more aerodynamic and can minimize drag. Additionally, some rockets use fins or other aerodynamic features to help reduce air resistance.

3. How does the speed of a rocket affect air resistance?

The faster a rocket moves, the greater the air resistance it experiences. This is because at higher speeds, the rocket is encountering more air particles per unit of time, resulting in a stronger drag force. This is one reason why rockets are designed to accelerate quickly and reach high speeds as they leave Earth's atmosphere.

4. Is air resistance the same throughout a rocket's flight path?

No, air resistance is not constant throughout a rocket's flight path. In the initial stages of launch, air resistance is relatively low because the rocket is moving at a slower speed. However, as the rocket gains altitude and accelerates, air resistance increases. Once the rocket reaches a high enough altitude, air resistance decreases again due to the decrease in air density.

5. How does air resistance affect the fuel consumption of a rocket?

Air resistance can significantly impact the amount of fuel a rocket needs to reach its destination. The stronger the air resistance, the more fuel the rocket will need to overcome it. This is why rockets are designed to be as aerodynamic as possible, in order to reduce the amount of fuel needed and make the journey more efficient.