1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I know if I am smart enough to be a physicist?

1. Mar 21, 2015 #1
    How did you know you would be good with physics?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2015 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Liking a physics article is not a sound basis for a career decision. You need to investigate career opportunities, salaries, lifestyle, and so forth.

That said, it is good that you have changed your work ethic. A good work ethic will, in the long run, overcome a bad semester.

4. Mar 21, 2015 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Only you can decide that. The laziness and lack of motivation you exhibited can always return unless you've identified the cause and have resolved to not fall into the same or similar trap.

The intro to physics course is not representative of upper level physics. It is more formulaic, that is under conditions a,b and c then formula x applies otherwise formula y applies.

In upper level courses, you start from first principles and then derive the formula needed for conditions a,b and c and then solve the problem to get the answer.

5. Mar 21, 2015 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The only way to really know is trial by fire. Take some physics classes and see how you do and how much you enjoy them.

And intelligence is often not the bottleneck factor. Patience, persistence, stubbornness, creativity, good mentorship, and opportunity also play significant roles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook