Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Do I Make a Balloon Pop by Itself?

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to find a way to make a balloon pop by itself in somebody's hands without them seeing how it happened. What's the best way to do this?

Thanks,

-Cory

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Cory.
    There are a few ways, but they're all kind of elaborate. The easiest way would be to heat it somehow. If it isn't totally transparent, a medium power laser could do that.
    Otherwise, you could combine a couple of slow-acting chemicals that will react and produce an overpressure.
    Personally, I'd just take a spit-ball to the thing.

4. Apr 17, 2008 #3
    Dry ice might work ?

5. Apr 17, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Possibly. It might be hard to seruptitiously introduce in sufficient quantity, though.

6. Apr 17, 2008 #5
    glue small pointy objects to his/her palms lol.

7. Apr 17, 2008 #6

neu

fire

8. Apr 17, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Those are both decent ideas, but I can't see how they can be implemented without the 'victim' noticing.

9. Apr 17, 2008 #8
    Put a hole in it before you blow it up.

10. Apr 17, 2008 #9

Danger

Gold Member

So then, how do you blow it up?

11. Apr 17, 2008 #10

dst

A tiny electric match + RF reciever inside, let it trigger as necessary.

12. Apr 17, 2008 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah, I'd forgotten how small radio receivers can be these days. That's a good option.

13. Apr 18, 2008 #12
    Positively charge the balloon 'excessively', and make sure the "victim" is standing barefoot on a surface thats 'excessively' negatively charged. When the balloon and victim make contact...ZAP!!!
    You may need to know CPR...

14. Apr 18, 2008 #13
    blow the balloon up, stick a small piece of tape to the balloon about 5-10mm, deflate the balloon then turn it inside out and make a small cut in the balloon behind the tape without cutting the tape, blow the balloon up again slightly larger than before and after a few seconds the extra tension in the balloon will overcome the tape and the balloon will burst. A small amount of solvent may speed things up if it takes to long.

15. Apr 18, 2008 #14
    :rofl:

16. Apr 18, 2008 #15

dst

The easiest way of course, is just a mixture of chemicals as already suggested.

17. Mar 5, 2011 #16
    Hmmmm good question you could use a sling shot I guess :uhh:

18. Mar 5, 2011 #17
    BAD BAD BAD!!!! Never point a laser in the direction of anybody!!!!

I would just use some kind of solvent on the inside of the balloon that will weaken the latex and cause it to break after a while.

19. Mar 5, 2011 #18
    Be sneaky like Houdini.

Develop a thick callus on your palm in one spot, rough up the surface a little, take a very small pinch of ground glass and mix with Elmer's glue. Apply to callus, in an amount equal ~ 1/3 of a grain of rice ( Tres Fino Arborio, preferably ).

I usually tend to go for the simple method.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  20. Mar 5, 2011 #19
    Fill it up in a very cold environment with very cold cold gas, bring it into hot room and if you've weakened the latex it'll pop

21. Mar 5, 2011 #20

Rap

Yeah, if money is no object, an infrared laser pulse. Get a special balloon that really absorbs the particular frequency of the laser. That way, if you miss, you don't drill a hole in somebody's hand or something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?