1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Do I Make a Balloon Pop by Itself?

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to find a way to make a balloon pop by itself in somebody's hands without them seeing how it happened. What's the best way to do this?

Thanks,

-Cory

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Cory.
    There are a few ways, but they're all kind of elaborate. The easiest way would be to heat it somehow. If it isn't totally transparent, a medium power laser could do that.
    Otherwise, you could combine a couple of slow-acting chemicals that will react and produce an overpressure.
    Personally, I'd just take a spit-ball to the thing.

4. Apr 17, 2008 #3
    Dry ice might work ?

5. Apr 17, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Possibly. It might be hard to seruptitiously introduce in sufficient quantity, though.

6. Apr 17, 2008 #5
    glue small pointy objects to his/her palms lol.

7. Apr 17, 2008 #6

neu

fire

8. Apr 17, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Those are both decent ideas, but I can't see how they can be implemented without the 'victim' noticing.

9. Apr 17, 2008 #8
    Put a hole in it before you blow it up.

10. Apr 17, 2008 #9

Danger

Gold Member

So then, how do you blow it up?

11. Apr 17, 2008 #10

dst

A tiny electric match + RF reciever inside, let it trigger as necessary.

12. Apr 17, 2008 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah, I'd forgotten how small radio receivers can be these days. That's a good option.

13. Apr 18, 2008 #12
    Positively charge the balloon 'excessively', and make sure the "victim" is standing barefoot on a surface thats 'excessively' negatively charged. When the balloon and victim make contact...ZAP!!!
    You may need to know CPR...

14. Apr 18, 2008 #13
    blow the balloon up, stick a small piece of tape to the balloon about 5-10mm, deflate the balloon then turn it inside out and make a small cut in the balloon behind the tape without cutting the tape, blow the balloon up again slightly larger than before and after a few seconds the extra tension in the balloon will overcome the tape and the balloon will burst. A small amount of solvent may speed things up if it takes to long.

15. Apr 18, 2008 #14
    :rofl:

16. Apr 18, 2008 #15

dst

The easiest way of course, is just a mixture of chemicals as already suggested.

17. Mar 5, 2011 #16
    Hmmmm good question you could use a sling shot I guess :uhh:

18. Mar 5, 2011 #17
    BAD BAD BAD!!!! Never point a laser in the direction of anybody!!!!

I would just use some kind of solvent on the inside of the balloon that will weaken the latex and cause it to break after a while.

19. Mar 5, 2011 #18
    Be sneaky like Houdini.

Develop a thick callus on your palm in one spot, rough up the surface a little, take a very small pinch of ground glass and mix with Elmer's glue. Apply to callus, in an amount equal ~ 1/3 of a grain of rice ( Tres Fino Arborio, preferably ).

I usually tend to go for the simple method.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  20. Mar 5, 2011 #19
    Fill it up in a very cold environment with very cold cold gas, bring it into hot room and if you've weakened the latex it'll pop

21. Mar 5, 2011 #20

Rap

Yeah, if money is no object, an infrared laser pulse. Get a special balloon that really absorbs the particular frequency of the laser. That way, if you miss, you don't drill a hole in somebody's hand or something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook