Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do i permantly unsubscribe from threads?

1. Dec 21, 2005 #1
    it looks like all of a sudden i automatically get subscribed to every thread i reply to. is there a way to change this? it's getting annoying to have all kinds of emails saying someone replied to a thread i replied to.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2005 #2
    Each time you get an e-mail telling you someone has responded there is an "unsubscribe from this thread" option at the bottom after the text of the post of the response. It's a link you click on.

Otherwise each thread has a "thread tools" button at the top right of the OP. Click on that, and you will see the "unsubscribe" option.

There is also an "unsubscribe" option in your User Control Panel where your subscribed threads are listed.

4. Dec 21, 2005 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Go to User cp,

edit options (on left) go to the "Messaging & Notification" section in the middle of the page, second box down - “default thread subscription mode” click “do not subscribe” in the drop down box

5. Dec 21, 2005 #4
    I had no idea you could do that.

6. Dec 21, 2005 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Note that you can stop receiving those e-mail notification WITHOUT unsubscribing to the threads. Just selected the option for no e-mail notification. You are still subscribed to those thread.

The advantage of staying subscribed to the threads that you particiapted in is that when you see the list of threads in a particular sub-forum, you will have these "icons" (used to be check marks) that indicated which threads you have participated in in case you want to check for follow-ups.

So go check the User CP Options and make the appropriate changes.

Zz.

7. Dec 21, 2005 #6
    So, why was this option to subscribe the threads "activated" all of a sudden?

8. Dec 21, 2005 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

It would appear that when the admins were doing work on the software engine of this forum, some of the default settings got changes.

I simply went to CP as Evo indicated and changed the appropriate settings.

And read this - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=104426

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  9. Dec 21, 2005 #8
    problem fixed (i think)... thx for the info everybody :smile:

10. Dec 21, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I was also getting subscription notices from EVERY thread i went to. Fixed that though :)

11. Dec 22, 2005 #10
    Thanks. I fixed the problem even before this thread came up, but hadn't noticed the post from the Admin. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?