How Do I Prove Symmetry and Scaling Properties of the Dirac Delta Function?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
yungman
Messages
5,741
Reaction score
291
I want to proof (1)##\delta(x)=\delta(-x)## and (2) ## \delta(kx)=\frac{1}{|k|}\delta(x)##

(1) let ##u=-x\Rightarrow\;du=-dx##
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta(x)dx=(0)[/tex]
but
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta(-x)dx=-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(-u)\delta(u)du=-f(0)[/tex]

I cannot proof (1) is equal as I don't know if ##f(u)=-f(-u)##. Please help.

(2)Let ##u=kx\Rightarrow\;\frac{du}{k}=dx##. The sign of the limit reverse depends on the polarity of k.
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta(kx)dx=\frac{1}{k}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(\frac{u}{k})\delta(u)du=^+_-\frac{1}{k}f(0)[/tex]
Since sign is +ve if k is positive. Sign is -ve if k is -ve. This means the result is always ##\frac{1}{|k|}f(0)##. Am I correct?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
yungman said:
I want to proof (1)##\delta(x)=\delta(-x)## and (2) ## \delta(kx)=\frac{1}{|k|}\delta(x)##

(1) let ##u=-x\Rightarrow\;du=-dx##
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta(x)dx=(0)[/tex]
but
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta(-x)dx=-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(-u)\delta(u)du=-f(0)[/tex]

I cannot proof (1) is equal as I don't know if ##f(u)=-f(-u)##. Please help.


The bounds of the integral change too, so you would have

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta(-x)dx=-\int_{\infty}^{-\infty}f(-u)\delta(u)du[/tex]

intead of what you had. Does that change anything?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
micromass said:
The bounds of the integral change too, so you would have

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta(-x)dx=-\int_{\infty}^{-\infty}f(-u)\delta(u)du[/tex]

intead of what you had. Does that change anything?

Got it. How about (2)

Thanks
 
yungman said:
Got it. How about (2)

Thanks

You should switch the bounds in (2) too, if ##k## is negative. Aside from that, it's alright.
 
micromass said:
You should switch the bounds in (2) too, if ##k## is negative. Aside from that, it's alright.

Thanks