• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Proving a property of the dirac delta function

• Thread starter skate_nerd
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Prove this theorem regarding a property of the Dirac Delta Function:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta'(x-a)dx=-f'(a)$$
(by using integration by parts)

Homework Equations

We know that δ(x) can be defined as
$$\lim_{\sigma\to\infty}(\frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2\sigma^2}})$$
and another proper of the Dirac Delta Function is
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta(x-a)dx=f(a)$$
Also, δ(x-a)=0 when x is not equal to a, and δ(x-a) is undefined when x=a. (Not really sure how to interpret the second part of that statement quite yet, I understand that it is because the two sided limit of σ->0 doesn't exist, but I don't see how to picture that graphically)

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting with
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta'(x-a)dx=-f'(a)$$
I tried integration by parts, taking u=f(x) so u'=f'(x), and then v'=δ'(x-a) so v=δ(x-a), translating our original integral to
$$f(x)\delta(x-a) (from -\infty to \infty)-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f'(x)\delta(x-a)dx$$
I'm really not sure where to go next. I dont see what else I can do with evaluating the first part from negative infinity to infinity, and I don't see anything more I can do with the remaining integral. All in all I don't see how integration by parts was helpful at all.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
hi skate_nerd! :smile:
$$f(x)\delta(x-a) (from -\infty to \infty)-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f'(x)\delta(x-a)dx$$
I'm really not sure where to go next. I dont see what else I can do with evaluating the first part from negative infinity to infinity
(i'm not convinced that that part of the formula is valid :redface:, but anyway …)

what are δ(∞ - a) and δ(-∞ - a) ?

…, and I don't see anything more I can do with the remaining integral.
can't you apply the delta definition directly to it?

Thanks for the reply tiny tim. I see what you are saying about the first part of the formula I reached. However for the second part, if I applied the definition of the delta function I would have a very odd integral that I would really have no idea how to solve.

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
uhh? the definition is …
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta(x-a)dx=f(a)$$
and you want to find …
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f'(x)\delta(x-a)dx$$

Yeah but how does knowing that first definition help with that second integral? I don't see any way to use that to solve the second integral...

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
You do realize that f' is just another function, right?

Yes, I think its quite obvious i am aware of that since I used that fact when I integrated by parts...

Am I just making this harder than it needs to be or what? I honestly am really stuck here and I've been thinking about this problem since last night

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Let g(x)=f'(x). Now the integral becomes
$$\int f'(x)\delta(x-a)\,dx = \int g(x)\delta(x-a)\,dx = ?$$

Ahhhhh wow okay that totally makes sense now. Thank you vela. I guess for some reason I was thinking that if you substituted something that way it would be like a change of variable but it actually isn't. I kept trying to use the definition
$$\lim_{\sigma\to0}(\frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2\sigma^2}})$$
but integrating something like that is a lot more difficult than it sounds...