1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a property of the dirac delta function

1. Oct 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove this theorem regarding a property of the Dirac Delta Function:
    $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta'(x-a)dx=-f'(a)$$
    (by using integration by parts)

2. Relevant equations
    We know that δ(x) can be defined as
    $$\lim_{\sigma\to\infty}(\frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2\sigma^2}})$$
    and another proper of the Dirac Delta Function is
    $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta(x-a)dx=f(a)$$
    Also, δ(x-a)=0 when x is not equal to a, and δ(x-a) is undefined when x=a. (Not really sure how to interpret the second part of that statement quite yet, I understand that it is because the two sided limit of σ->0 doesn't exist, but I don't see how to picture that graphically)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Starting with
    $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta'(x-a)dx=-f'(a)$$
    I tried integration by parts, taking u=f(x) so u'=f'(x), and then v'=δ'(x-a) so v=δ(x-a), translating our original integral to
    $$f(x)\delta(x-a) (from -\infty to \infty)-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f'(x)\delta(x-a)dx$$
    I'm really not sure where to go next. I dont see what else I can do with evaluating the first part from negative infinity to infinity, and I don't see anything more I can do with the remaining integral. All in all I don't see how integration by parts was helpful at all.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi skate_nerd! :smile:
    (i'm not convinced that that part of the formula is valid :redface:, but anyway …)

what are δ(∞ - a) and δ(-∞ - a) ?

can't you apply the delta definition directly to it?

4. Oct 19, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply tiny tim. I see what you are saying about the first part of the formula I reached. However for the second part, if I applied the definition of the delta function I would have a very odd integral that I would really have no idea how to solve.

5. Oct 19, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

uhh? the definition is …
    and you want to find …

6. Oct 19, 2013 #5
    Yeah but how does knowing that first definition help with that second integral? I don't see any way to use that to solve the second integral...

7. Oct 19, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You do realize that f' is just another function, right?

8. Oct 19, 2013 #7
    Yes, I think its quite obvious i am aware of that since I used that fact when I integrated by parts...

9. Oct 19, 2013 #8
    Am I just making this harder than it needs to be or what? I honestly am really stuck here and I've been thinking about this problem since last night

10. Oct 19, 2013 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Let g(x)=f'(x). Now the integral becomes
    $$\int f'(x)\delta(x-a)\,dx = \int g(x)\delta(x-a)\,dx = ?$$

11. Oct 20, 2013 #10
    Ahhhhh wow okay that totally makes sense now. Thank you vela. I guess for some reason I was thinking that if you substituted something that way it would be like a change of variable but it actually isn't. I kept trying to use the definition
    $$\lim_{\sigma\to0}(\frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2\sigma^2}})$$
    but integrating something like that is a lot more difficult than it sounds...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted