How do I prove that a_n is a decreasing sequence of non-negative real numbers?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter sparkster
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral Sequence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
sparkster
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
If f is a continuous decreasing non-negative function on [1, oo) and
[itex]a_n = \sum_{k=1}^nf(k) - \int_1^nf(t)dt[/itex].

I need to show that a_n is a decreasing sequence of non-negative real numbers.

I'm working on the decreasing part. If I subtract [itex]a_n - a_{n+1}[/itex] I get

[itex]\int_1^{n+1}f(t)dt - \int_1^nf(t)dt - f(n+1)[/itex]

but I don't know how to show this is bigger than zero. I did an example with [itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{x^2}[/itex] and of course it worked, but it didn't help me with the proof.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ETA: Let me clarify. Looking at this graphically, I realize that if I do the subtractions, I'm going to get a positive area. But I don't know how to formalize this.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, the expression for a_n - a_(n + 1) can be simplified so that it only involves a single integral. Then you can show the desired inequality by "wisely" choosing a step function for the integral.
 
[itex]\int_1^{n+1}f(t)dt - \int_1^nf(t)dt = \int_n^{n+1}f(t)dt[/itex]
and since f is strictly decreasing you know that this integral is going to be greater than any right end point approximation. With 1 rectangle, such an approximation is f(n+1).