1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I prove that f(x,y) <= g(x,y)

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is to prove that f(x,y) >= g(x,y)

x and y are positive integers

2. Relevant equations

f(x,y) = 1/6 { 2(x-y-2)/(x+2y-2) + 10(x-y+1)/(x+2y+1) }

g(x,y) = 2(x-y)/(x+2y)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm looking for any general advice on how to approach this question. The approach that I have attempted is to set g(x,y) = k and then to solve for x.
    x = -2y(k +1) / (k-2)

Then I substituted this formula back into the equation f(x,y) in the hopes that this would simply to a form that indicates that the inequality is true; however, after doing this a simple solution does not seem to fall out:

f(x,y) = 1/6 { (yk-2y-2k+2)/(-3y-k+2) + 10(-3yk-k-2)/(-6y+k-2))}

Any suggestions to how to approach this kind of problem or on this specific problem would be very appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Well, I'd look for the minimum of f - g. Did this help?
  4. Mar 2, 2010 #3
    Dear Päällikkö,

That does seem to be a good suggestion, if I come to a good solution I will post it

5. Mar 2, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I looks to me like it's actually pretty easy to solve f(x,y)=g(x,y) for a relation between x and y. That would give you the boundary curve separating the region where f(x,y)>g(x,y) from the region where f(x,y)<g(x,y).
  6. Mar 2, 2010 #5
    Would you be willing to elaborate a bit more about how one could solve f(x,y)=g(x,y)?
    Thanks in advance.
  7. Mar 2, 2010 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, I cheated. I set f(x,y)=g(x,y) in a computer program and said 'solve for y'. The answer came out pretty simple. If you are doing it by hand I guess you'd have to clear out all the fractions by multiplying both sides by (x+2y-2)*(x+2y+1)*(x+2y), expand everything start cancelling. Offhand, I don't see any clever way to avoid that. Unless maybe substuting u=2x+y and v=x-y makes it easier to keep all the terms straight.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook