How do I rearrange this equation involving trig functions to solve for x?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aristodol
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Trig
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Aristodol
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
i am unsure about how to rearrange this equation so that I can solve for x an unknown angle. Please help.

we have:

sin^2 x(tan x)=1356

it is very simple I no but I just can't remember the way to go about solving this problem, especially because of the sin^2
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Follow the steps below:

1. [tex]tan(x) = \frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}[/tex]
2. [tex]cos(x) = \sqrt{1 - sin^2(x)}[/tex]
3. take square on both size, and re-arrange the terms, you will get a 6th order polynomial
4. do a substitution [tex]y = sin^2(x)[/tex], then you will have a 3th order polynomial
5. solve the 3rd order polynomial for y...
6. as soon as you have y, you will get x... (make sure x is not a single value function of y)