How do I separate the real and imaginary parts of an infinite product?

In summary, the author is asking for closed form expressions for the real and imaginary parts of the Gamma function.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
Just polling to see if anybody knows
Suppose you have a complex-valued function of a complex variable (namely, ##z=x+iy, \, \, x,y\in \mathbb{R}##) defined as the assumed convergent infinite product

$$F(z)=\prod_{k=1}^{\infty}f_{k}(z)$$

Further suppose ##F(x+iy)=u(x,y)+i v(x,y)##, where u and v are real-valued functions.
How to write “closed form” expressions for u and v in terms of the ##f_k##?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends what you mean by closed form. An infinite product would generally not be considered a closed form.
Perhaps what you are after are expressions for ##U_k(z)## and ##V_k(z)##, which are the real and imaginary parts of the partial product ##F_k(z)\triangleq \prod_{j=1}^k f_k(z)##. If the infinite product in the OP is convergent then we would expect ##U_k## and ##V_k## to be convergent, to functions ##U,V:\mathbb C\to \mathbb R##, such that ##F(z)=U(z)+iV(z)##.
Closed forms for the partial products are:
$$U_k(z) = \sum_{s\in \{0,1\}^k} r_u(h(s))\prod_{j=1}^k
u_j(z)^{1-s_j} v_j(z)^{s_j}$$
$$V_k(z) = \sum_{s\in \{0,1\}^k} r_v(h(s))\prod_{j=1}^k
u_j(z)^{1-s_j} v_j(z)^{s_j}$$
where ##h(s) = \left(\sum_{j=1}^{\mathrm{length}(s)} s_j\right) \mod 4##
##r_u(m)## is 1 if ##m=0##, -1 if ##m=2## and 0 otherwise
##r_v(m)## is 1 if ##m=1##, -1 if ##m=3## and 0 otherwise
##u_j(z)## and ##v_j(z)## are the real and imaginary parts of ##f_j(z)##.

What does the notation ##s\in\left\{ 0,1\right\}^k## mean?

It means the sum is for s ranging over all elements of the set ##\{0,1\}^k##, which is the set of all sequences of ##k## numerals each of which is either 0, or 1. The set contains ##2^k## different sequences. ##s_j## denotes the ##j##th numeral in sequence ##s##.

Assuming the infinite product converges: If you can write each factor zn of the infinite product as zn = rn en (where of course rn > 0 and θnR), then you know that Re(product) = r cos(θ) and Im(product) = r sin(θ), where r = ∏ rn and θ = ∑ θn.

Likes FactChecker
I take a particular interest in the Gamma function, and I'm curious why I've never read any formulas for the real and imaginary parts of the Gamma function in any of my reading. Granted I have only read things in library books and websites and the texts I personally own, I do not have access to pay maths journals and such, but wouldn't these be useful to someone? I personally cannot get WolframAlpha to output these formulae as if either I do not know how to ask it for them or it does not know them (I did pay for it as a phone app, idk if that matters but I imagine they would need to make a business decision as to what constitutes premium content so perhaps it does matter but only thing I've noticed is that certain sep-by-step solutions you need to pay for). I've attempted to write out expressions for ##\Re \left[ \Gamma (x+iy)\right]## and ##\Im \left[\Gamma (x+iy)\right]## but ran into a few things I did not know how to deal with yet, still learning I guess. Is it that expressions for these are known but not particularly useful? I searched NIST's website as well.

1. How do I identify the real and imaginary parts of an infinite product?

The real and imaginary parts of an infinite product can be identified by breaking down the product into its individual factors and then separating the real and imaginary parts of each factor. The real part will only contain real numbers, while the imaginary part will contain imaginary numbers in the form of i.

2. Can I separate the real and imaginary parts of an infinite product without using complex numbers?

No, complex numbers are necessary for separating the real and imaginary parts of an infinite product. This is because complex numbers, which are in the form of a + bi, contain both a real and imaginary part. Trying to separate the real and imaginary parts without using complex numbers will result in an incomplete answer.

3. What is the significance of separating the real and imaginary parts of an infinite product?

Separating the real and imaginary parts of an infinite product allows us to better understand the behavior and properties of the product. It also allows us to perform calculations and manipulations on the product more easily.

4. How do I handle the infinite nature of the product when separating the real and imaginary parts?

When dealing with an infinite product, we can use mathematical techniques such as limits and series to evaluate the real and imaginary parts. These techniques allow us to handle the infinite nature of the product and obtain a precise answer.

5. Are there any applications of separating the real and imaginary parts of an infinite product?

Yes, separating the real and imaginary parts of an infinite product has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in complex analysis, number theory, and signal processing, among others. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and finance.