How do I set up GRUB to boot FreeBSD and Slackware from two drives?

  • Thread starter Thread starter franznietzsche
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Drive Hard
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
franznietzsche
Messages
1,523
Reaction score
6
I just got a second hard drive so that i could install FreeBSD and slackware onto it for my computer. (got it because i was out of partitions on the first drive).

The first drive is a serial ATA WD drive, the second drive is an IDE WD drive. I just want to set the system up so that it will basically startup with grub bootloader, and then let me pick which OS to boot from, listing them from either drive.

This is my first system with multiple hard drives, so my question is simply, how do i do this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well I've managed to set everything up, almost.

I'm having trouble booting up slackware on the second drive, all the other OSs boot up fine, including FreeBSD on the same drive as slackware. THe problem is i don't know how to set grub.conf for slackware.

First drive: SATA, /dev/sda1 = WinXP
/dev/sda2 = /boot (fedora)
/dev/sda3 = / (fedora)
/dev/sda5 = swap
/dev/sda6 = /home

Second Drive: IDE /dev/hdb1 = FreeBSD
/dev/hdb2 = / (Slackware)
/dev/hdb4 = /home (slackware)
/dev/hdb5 = /boot (slackware
/dev/hdb6 = swap (slacware)

I have grub installed on the MBR of the IDE disk, which is set to slave (the SATA disk does not have master/slave settings, it autoselects, i think)

I can boot into WinXP, FreeBSD, and Fedora all fine. However i cannot boot into slackware for some reason, and i can't seem to get the settings in /boot/grub/grub.conf (on fedora's partition) correct to boot into it.

vmlinuz-ide-2.4.29 is the kernel for slack in /boot (slackware) (i have all the slack ware partitions mounted in fedora under /slack/, so i can access them, i just can't seem to boot slack)

So my question is simply, what should i have in grub.conf to get slackware to boot correctly?
 
I would think the slackware entry should be like this:

title=Slackware
root (hd1,4)
kernel (hd1,4)/{kernel-name} root=/dev/hdb2