How do I set up these problems?

• Thread starter LocalYocal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation is about finding the initial speed of a football that has been punted in a game, given its initial height and the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. The student is unsure about which formula to use since the problem involves an initial height that is not 0. The suggested equation to use is v2=u2-2g(y-y0), where y0 is the initial height.
LocalYocal

Homework Statement

In a football game a ball is punted from an initial height of 0.75 m and at an angle of 41° above the horizontal. If the ball travels a horizontal distance of 38 yd before hitting the ground, what was its initial speed? (Neglect air resistance.)

Homework Equations

I cannot find any information in my textbook relating to problems that have and starting point (y) that is not 0. What formula do I use on these problems? Thanks

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
y=y0+v0t -1/2 gt2use this where y0 is the initial height.

EDIT: this may help as well

v2=u2-2g(y-y0)

To set up this problem, we can use the following equation:

d = V₀t + 1/2gt²

Where:

d = horizontal distance (38 yd)
V₀ = initial velocity
t = time
g = acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²)

Since the problem gives the initial height (0.75 m) and angle (41°), we can use trigonometry to find the initial vertical velocity (V₀sinθ) and the initial horizontal velocity (V₀cosθ).

Then, we can use the equation V₀ = √(V₀sinθ)² + (V₀cosθ)² to find the initial speed (V₀).

Therefore, the initial speed of the ball is:

V₀ = √(V₀sinθ)² + (V₀cosθ)²

= √(9.8 m/s²)² + (38 yd/tan41°)²

= 26.2 m/s

Thus, the initial speed of the ball was 26.2 m/s.

How do I set up a scientific problem?

To set up a scientific problem, you first need to clearly define the problem and identify what you want to investigate. Then, you need to gather relevant information and data, and create a hypothesis to explain the problem. Finally, you will design an experiment to test your hypothesis and analyze the results.

What is the importance of setting up a problem in a scientific way?

Setting up a problem in a scientific way allows for a systematic and objective approach to finding solutions. It also ensures that the results are reliable and reproducible, which is essential for the advancement of scientific knowledge.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when setting up a scientific problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when setting up a scientific problem include not clearly defining the problem, not considering all relevant information, and not properly controlling variables in the experiment. It is also important to avoid bias and ensure that the results are not influenced by personal beliefs or opinions.

How do I determine which variables to control in my experiment?

The variables to control in an experiment should be identified based on their potential impact on the outcome. It is important to identify both independent and dependent variables, and to control for any confounding variables that could affect the results.

How do I know if my experiment is well-designed?

A well-designed experiment should have a clear and testable hypothesis, a control group for comparison, a sufficient sample size, and proper randomization and blinding techniques. It should also be replicable and have measures in place to minimize potential sources of error.