Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I show that cos(z1 + z2) = cos(z1)cos(z2) - sin(z1)sin(z2)

1. May 8, 2010 #1
    How do I show that cos(z1 + z2) = cos(z1)cos(z2) - sin(z1)sin(z2)
    I let z1 = a + ib & z2 = c + id
    So cos(z1 + z2) = cos(a+ib+c+id) = cos(a+ib)cos(c+id) - sin(a+ib)sin(c+id) = cos(z1)cos(z2) - sin(z1)sin(z2). (From the trig identity).

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2010 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Re: Proof

How one approaches such a proof depends how one has defined sine and cosine. One definition is
    sin(z):=[e^(iz)-e^(-iz)]/(2i)
    cos(z):=[e^(iz)+e^(-iz)]/2i
    from
    (e^a)(e^b)=e^(a+b)
    your result would easily follow
    What you have done is assume you result.

4. May 14, 2010 #3
    Re: Proof

(a+ib) and (c+id) are complex numbers, and, in principle, the trigonometric identities are only proved for real numbers... so doing as you said, you're using complex trigonometric identities to prove complex trigonometric identities.

I think the usual ways to define trigonometric functions in complex plane are: using exponential function or using power series representations... in exponential representation, it's very easy to prove the trig. identities, but you'll have to assume some properties of the exponential function... in series representation, most of the theorems are trivially proved for the complex, so you would have to assume less results, but it's a lot harder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook